Re: Chloe Update - Another Crisis Episode

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
      Hi Suzanne

      I`m sorry CHloe is worse. It is often the case that we 'know' when
      something is wrong. My instincts have never been wrong yet. It's also a case for
      balancing the HCM heart helping meds with the lasix. Trixi was on 30mg lasix
      a day at her very worst and also spironolactone. She needed that for a week
      until her new meds started to help her heart. Spiro is a good drug and can
      be given with lasix safely, its another class of duiretic.

      I hope the lasix helps her soon, it worked quickly at high dose for TRrixi.

    • BubbaCat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
        Suzanne,
        Have you considered Spironolactone? I've used it when Lasix wasn't enough,
        especially when hypokalemia was a concern.
        _http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html_
        (http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html)

        We've also done chest taps, at both the cardio office and our regular vet
        hospital.

        Jo
        _________________________________

        In a message dated 12/5/2012 10:16:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        zan200@... writes:

        Hi All...

        It's been a rough couple of days... Chloe again did not "look right" to me
        over the weekend - despite having a low respiration rates all through
        Monday night.

        Tuesday her rr shot up to 40 multiple times along with deeper more rapid
        breaths, etc. I gave her 1 whole Lasix and called the vet - vet said I did
        the right thing, and I scheduled an appointment for today.

        Vet took another X-ray and found Chloe filling up with fluid again. Vet
        was very, very concerned as the increased Lasix dose is still not
        successfully removing the fluid buildup. I now have Chloe on 1 Lasix 2X a day for one
        week, then back next week for another X-ray.

        No potassium as Chloe's sensitive stomach is a concern - she did not want
        to eat after I tried her on the postassium supplement over the weekend. The
        vet will check this out next week also.

        I keep telling the vet I think I'm crazy because I seem to be able to
        sense when Chloe is having problems before the symptoms actually appear. She
        said not to doubt myself as I've been proven right ever since this whole HCM
        problem began. I'm so "in tune" with Chloe I really do pick up on the most
        minor changes...

        The vet is checking with the Internist who did Chloe's ultrasound to see
        if there are any other meds besides or in addition to the Lasix to reduce
        fluid - I'm concerned as to what our next step is if the increased Lasix
        dosage still doesn't help.

        Does anyone have a similar problem with the Lasix not really working?

        Thanks,
        Suzanne and Chloe

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
          Hi Suzanne.

          Poor Chloe :-(  What did they do to alleviate the fluid build-up?  Did they remove any fluid at the vet?

          Can you tell us the dose of lasix Chloe was getting before the crisis and what the current dose is?  It sounds like it just needs to be increased.  There is another diuretic called spironolactone which I do not use, but others in the group do.  You would give this along with the lasix.

          Good call on giving Chloe the lasix once you saw she was having difficulty.  Now we just need to get to the point where that is not happening.  I really think you need to continue a higher dose of lasix and possibly add spiro.

          How is her breathing now?

          Laurie