Re: [FH] Pimobendan for Hcm

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
      Hi

      My experience of pimobendan is it is a miracle drug. Trixi has severe HCM
      and went into heart failure after a blood clot to the heart which destroyed
      some of the muscle. She was given no chance to survive at all but the
      cardiologist said there was a drug, not licensed and would we trial it. Within a
      week she was better and within a month the heart had recovered. She has
      been stable since and takes half a tablet twice a day. She also takes a lot
      of other drugs but it hasn't harmed her HCM or caused any side effects at
      all.

      Milli has one pimobendan twice a day but she has holes in her heart, as
      well as early HCM. She is much more stable after taking this drug with no side
      effects whatsoever. So in my cases it's been a miracle, but you're right
      it isn't supposed to be used for HCM. There are others cats here who were
      given it extremely sick as a last resort and did well.

      But if she cant tolerate it, you should reduce it with a view to possibly
      stopping it. Don't stop suddenly, that can be really dangerous.

    • Marisa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
        My cat took pimobendan and it lengthened his life considerably. We had mitral valve and tricuspid valve dysplasias and, therefore, it was recommended. Not HCM but wanted to add how well it benefited for other heart related issues.

        Marisa Y. Katnic'
        marisakatnic@...