Chloe Update - Another Crisis Episode

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi All...

      It's been a rough couple of days... Chloe again did not "look right" to me over the weekend - despite having a low respiration rates all through Monday night.

      Tuesday her rr shot up to 40 multiple times along with deeper more rapid breaths, etc. I gave her 1 whole Lasix and called the vet - vet said I did the right thing, and I scheduled an appointment for today.

      Vet took another X-ray and found Chloe filling up with fluid again. Vet was very, very concerned as the increased Lasix dose is still not successfully removing the fluid buildup. I now have Chloe on 1 Lasix 2X a day for one week, then back next week for another X-ray.

      No potassium as Chloe's sensitive stomach is a concern - she did not want to eat after I tried her on the postassium supplement over the weekend. The vet will check this out next week also.

      I keep telling the vet I think I'm crazy because I seem to be able to sense when Chloe is having problems before the symptoms actually appear. She said not to doubt myself as I've been proven right ever since this whole HCM problem began. I'm so "in tune" with Chloe I really do pick up on the most minor changes...

      The vet is checking with the Internist who did Chloe's ultrasound to see if there are any other meds besides or in addition to the Lasix to reduce fluid - I'm concerned as to what our next step is if the increased Lasix dosage still doesn't help.

      Does anyone have a similar problem with the Lasix not really working?

      Thanks,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi Suzanne

        I`m sorry CHloe is worse. It is often the case that we 'know' when
        something is wrong. My instincts have never been wrong yet. It's also a case for
        balancing the HCM heart helping meds with the lasix. Trixi was on 30mg lasix
        a day at her very worst and also spironolactone. She needed that for a week
        until her new meds started to help her heart. Spiro is a good drug and can
        be given with lasix safely, its another class of duiretic.

        I hope the lasix helps her soon, it worked quickly at high dose for TRrixi.

      • BubbaCat1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
          Suzanne,
          Have you considered Spironolactone? I've used it when Lasix wasn't enough,
          especially when hypokalemia was a concern.
          _http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html_
          (http://www.1800petmeds.com/Spironolactone-prod10595.html)

          We've also done chest taps, at both the cardio office and our regular vet
          hospital.

          Jo

          In a message dated 12/5/2012 10:16:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
            Hi Suzanne.

            Poor Chloe :-(  What did they do to alleviate the fluid build-up?  Did they remove any fluid at the vet?

            Can you tell us the dose of lasix Chloe was getting before the crisis and what the current dose is?  It sounds like it just needs to be increased.  There is another diuretic called spironolactone which I do not use, but others in the group do.  You would give this along with the lasix.

            Good call on giving Chloe the lasix once you saw she was having difficulty.  Now we just need to get to the point where that is not happening.  I really think you need to continue a higher dose of lasix and possibly add spiro.

            How is her breathing now?

            Laurie