Pimobendan for Hcm

  • spk81703
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
      My 12 yr. old cat Sweetie was diagnosed with hcm 3 yrs ago and was on a half of a 2.5mg enalapril twice a day and 6.25mg of lasix until this past oct.when she was hospitalized again.She is currently on a half of a 1.25 mg pimobendan twice a day,a half of a 12.5 mg lasix twice a day and a half of a 2.5 mg enalapril twice a day.The pimobendan is making her sick.She is nauseous and has lost over 1lb. since being on this drug.She has been breathing deeper.Last night I took her to my vet. because she was breathing so heavy.Her heart rate was over 180 bpm.Her lungs were clear.My vet feels she should be taken off the pimobendan but the cardiologist wants to keep her on it.I have gone online and some websites say a cat with hcm should never be put on that drug because it makes things worse.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I don't know what to do or where to turn for help.I live in the Philadelphia area.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
        Hi,

        I went through a similar experience introducing pimobendan.  At the time we had introduced two new meds so did not know what was causing the ill side effects. So I stopped both meds immediately.  After much coaxing by the cardiologist (she swore it could not be the pimobendan and really wanted Boo taking it) and this group, I re-introduced the pimobendan but did it VERY slowly... 1/4 of the tab in the morning.... once she was okay on that we did 1/4 AM, 1/4 PM, then 1/2 AM, 1/4 PM and finally her current dose 1/2 AM, 1/2PM.  She is doing remarkable and I truly believe the pimobendan has helped her.

        The one thing to note -- Boo suffers from DCM, not the more common HCM.  She also receives lasix, benazepril and plavix.  I have heard pimobendan is not
        recommended for cats with HCM but my understanding is that the studies do not exist, not that there was known reason it would cause harm.

        So I would either stop it completely just to see if Sweetie improves (this is the full proof way to know if this is indeed the culprit) or compromise with the advise you are getting... reduce the dose and slowly increase it over time as she shows it is not causing ill effect.  Of course I would speak to the cardiologist before changing anything.

        There are also meds that can help with nausea if you determine it is unrelated. Important thing is to be sure Sweetie is eating and not continuing to lose weight.  Perhaps different food options would coax more of an appetite?

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
          Hi

          My experience of pimobendan is it is a miracle drug. Trixi has severe HCM
          and went into heart failure after a blood clot to the heart which destroyed
          some of the muscle. She was given no chance to survive at all but the
          cardiologist said there was a drug, not licensed and would we trial it. Within a
          week she was better and within a month the heart had recovered. She has
          been stable since and takes half a tablet twice a day. She also takes a lot
          of other drugs but it hasn't harmed her HCM or caused any side effects at
          all.

          Milli has one pimobendan twice a day but she has holes in her heart, as
          well as early HCM. She is much more stable after taking this drug with no side
          effects whatsoever. So in my cases it's been a miracle, but you're right
          it isn't supposed to be used for HCM. There are others cats here who were
          given it extremely sick as a last resort and did well.

          But if she cant tolerate it, you should reduce it with a view to possibly
          stopping it. Don't stop suddenly, that can be really dangerous.

        • Marisa
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
            My cat took pimobendan and it lengthened his life considerably. We had mitral valve and tricuspid valve dysplasias and, therefore, it was recommended. Not HCM but wanted to add how well it benefited for other heart related issues.

            Marisa Y. Katnic'
            marisakatnic@...