Re: [FH] Kitty colds and HCM

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
      Could Moe be experiencing allergies?  Anything in his environment that has changed of late? Even a new cleaner could do it.

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
        When Martha was trouble with similar issues, on a hunch out went my precious Yankee candles. Problem solved. Just a thought.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Blessings,
        Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

        --- On Wed, 12/5/12, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

        Could Moe be experiencing allergies?  Anything in his environment that has changed of late? Even a new cleaner could do it.

        Laurie_,_._,___

      • Mary McKee
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
          It's been rainy and damp here the last 2 weeks in "sunny California" and it's about the time of year that my two younger cats come down with a short duration cold. His discharge is clear and we haven't changed a thing but he changes where he sleeps about every week (which is driving us crazy) and has taken to sleeping on the bare hardwood floor which can get cold. I placed an area rug down on "his newest spot" and placed the Christmas tree there so he is happily parked below it now enjoying the lights. I managed to get his cat heating pad below the rug and, thankfully, he appears to have found it. I am pretty sure this is just a "kitty cold" as there is no discharge from the eyes and his appetite seems OK. The Christmas tree is the only new change and he had the cold before the tree was brought into the house it so I have eliminated that from the equation. Our cats enjoy Christmas more than we do and get quite excited on the day that we bring a tree into the house and decorate it with lights. They are exceptionally good about respecting the tree and probably wonder why we don't have a tree in the house every day of the year :)). We are hoping that Moe's huge heart has a few more Christmases in him beyond this one so are trying to make this Christmas a really special one for him. It's a happy time but a sad one too thinking that he may not be here next year.

          We made the mistake of letting him have a little "supervised" time outside when the sun came out. He loves to follow us up to the barn and sit under the barn porch overseeing the valley below. I think it was too much for him considering the damp weather. It's hard not to accommodate him when he wants to venture outside as we want him to "live his life" and not keep him in an overly protective wrapper. Sometimes it's a fine line to walk.

          In the past, when I have taken my cats in for a kitty cold, my normal vet just sends me home with a "there, there" and the assurance that the cold will shortly pass. Antibiotics are never prescribed unless there is a green discharge from the nostrils. HCM puts another spin on the normal kitty cold. We are doing our best to keep him healthy but everyone in this group knows how that goes.
        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
            Hi

            I am always cautious with kitty colds. As we have 16 cats and a lot of them
            with HCM, colds go round the household regularly. If there is the
            slightest sign of green or yellow discharge, it's antibiotics. My vet says you
            can't take chances as they are already compromised. We use metacam if they have
            a temperature to bring it down which seems to help a lot. They're never
            really ill for more than a day or two of snuffles. If there is any rasping or
            wheezzing it's straight to the vet.

            Lyn:)