Re: POSSIBLE HEART ISSUE FOR CRF KITTY - NEW - ANY HELP APPRECIATED

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi MB

      It sounds very much as if Buddie has gone into heart failure due to excess
      fluids. If her siblings had HCM there's a 50% chance she has it too. The
      most important consideration now is to get the fluid off her lungs and treat
      the heart failure and that is preferably by diuretic. She may need to have
      a chest tap, but the lasix may be able to control it as well.

      Balancing heart and kidneys is not easy, but it is possible. The heart has
      to come first, lasix does make the kidneys less efficient but once the
      effusion is dealt with it can be reduced dose. I`m sure someone here will be
      able to help you, but I`ve never had to give fluids and lasix at the same
      time to any of my cats.

      If she is lying comfortably and not breathing over 30 at rest, she's
      comfortable. Another drug to ask your vet about would be fortekor as that
      supports both the heart and the kidneys. She likely needs something to help her
      heart to become stable.