POSSIBLE HEART ISSUE FOR CRF KITTY - NEW - ANY HELP APPRECIATED
- HELLO - SO GRATEFUL TO FIND THIS GROUP - THANKS TO MY CRF FRIENDS
BUDDIE is my kitty's name. One brother had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy with renal failure and another brother has it successfully managed with Methimazole. Buddie and a sister had a couple echo's until the cardiologist said they were getting too old to worry much about their presenting with the disease themselves and for financial reasos, we stopped the echo's .
Buddie's 13, was diagnosed with chronic renal failure 2.5 years ago and it's been very well managed with fluids. When her vet saw indications of dehydration based on blood work in late Sept, she raised her fluids from 70CC 2X/day to 100cc 2Xday. In an exam following a very brief first-time seizure 11/27, another vet saw dehydration and ordered fluids at 150CC 2X/day for 3 days. After two administrations, I took Buddie in for bloodwork and during cystocentesis, the vet found pleural effustion. 11/29, exrays showed "moderate" fluid in the cavity, and due to position of trachea (sitting parallel to sides), vet believes B has an enlarged heart, though she cannot see the heart.
B's stable but nowhere near the BOUNCY, ENERGETIC, HIGHLY COMMUNICATIVE kitty I saw before the seizure. She is lying down all the time except for a trip to the litter box. Her breathing is easy, smooth, and the counts are averaging in the 30's
The plan right now is to STOP FLUIDS entirely and give her 1/2 Lasix (12.5 mg) every 12 hours. She IS peeing and drinking . . .but still not eating.
I'm still wondering HARD if this effusion is due to a heart issue or the raised fluids, 30% more twice a day beginning in late Sept and then the 150CC twice one 24 hour period this week.
FINANCES ARE VERY LIMITED now, but I'm considering Thoracocentesis.
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HAD ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE OR WHO HAS AN INFORMATION WHICH COULD HELP ME ADVOCATE FOR HER MOST EFFECTIVELY WITH THE VETS . . . who do not necessarily agree on what's going on. (Live in a small semi-rural area and do not have many to choose from.)
THORACOCENTIS???? One vet says it wouldn't bring much as there are so many pocket of fluids and the most she ever gets is just over 350CC. The other vet says she gets more, even a liter. At this point, I don't feel comfortable subjecting Buddie to it . . . but could if she began to become more comfortable herself maybe feeling better once the lasix gives her some relief.
ANY HELP . . . ANY INFORMATION . . . ANYTHING . . . I'M OVERWHELMED . . . and definitely keeping the door open to euthanasia should Buddie show indications of great distress.
Finally, one of the vets clearly feels it's time for euthanasia, and the other one is not there. I will NOT make the decision based upon what a vet says, though. It'll be Buddie who decides in the end.
DEEP, DEEP GRATITUDE FOR LISTENGING TO ALL OF THIS . . . OH, SO DEEP !
mb and buddie sue
- Hi MB
It sounds very much as if Buddie has gone into heart failure due to excess
fluids. If her siblings had HCM there's a 50% chance she has it too. The
most important consideration now is to get the fluid off her lungs and treat
the heart failure and that is preferably by diuretic. She may need to have
a chest tap, but the lasix may be able to control it as well.
Balancing heart and kidneys is not easy, but it is possible. The heart has
to come first, lasix does make the kidneys less efficient but once the
effusion is dealt with it can be reduced dose. I`m sure someone here will be
able to help you, but I`ve never had to give fluids and lasix at the same
time to any of my cats.
If she is lying comfortably and not breathing over 30 at rest, she's
comfortable. Another drug to ask your vet about would be fortekor as that
supports both the heart and the kidneys. She likely needs something to help her
heart to become stable.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]