Pill Pockets

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi Shannon,

      Have you tried something called "Feline Greenies Pill Pockets"? My vet sells them at her clinic - they are salmon or chicken flavored pocket-shaped cat treats specfically designed to hide medications. You supposedly give your kitty a couple of treats at a time - one with the pill hidden inside and one without. The whole "treat" idea gets a big thumbs down from Chloe, but maybe Fozzy would be more receptive.

      Hope this might help,
      Suzanne and Chloe

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Gormley <gustysg1974@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the replies. My problem with Fozzy is not that of getting a pill down her throat - it is a problem of actually catching her in order to pill her. She was a feral when I took her in, so she has to approach you of her own volition, even to be pet. There is no walking up to her to pet, pill, brush her etc. If she is approached without her express approval, she will run and hide. That's why we did the I-131 for her thyroid. I will keep trying to find something that she will eat in order to get enough of the pill in her. Thanks again for the input.
      >
      > Shannon

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
        I've been using them very successfully.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 28, 2012, at 1:31 PM, "zan200" <zan200@...> wrote:

        > Hi Shannon,
        >
        > Have you tried something called "Feline Greenies Pill Pockets"? My vet sells them at her clinic - they are salmon or chicken flavored pocket-shaped cat treats specfically designed to hide medications. You supposedly give your kitty a couple of treats at a time - one with the pill hidden inside and one without. The whole "treat" idea gets a big thumbs down from Chloe, but maybe Fozzy would be more receptive.
        >
        > Hope this might help,
        > Suzanne and Chloe
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Gormley <gustysg1974@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for the replies. My problem with Fozzy is not that of getting a pill down her throat - it is a problem of actually catching her in order to pill her. She was a feral when I took her in, so she has to approach you of her own volition, even to be pet. There is no walking up to her to pet, pill, brush her etc. If she is approached without her express approval, she will run and hide. That's why we did the I-131 for her thyroid. I will keep trying to find something that she will eat in order to get enough of the pill in her. Thanks again for the input.
        > >
        > > Shannon

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
          I have great success too especially the salmon as they are softer and easier to mold around the pill.  I only use half... just enough to wrap the pill without a lot of extra, and attach Boo's favorite crunchy treat to the outside. She gobbles them down and begs me for more every time I am in the kitchen.  She loves her "pill treats".

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
            Martha chews her food, even canned. Every time she spots the pill and spits it out. Any way to overcome this with pill pockets?

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Blessings,
            Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

          • Shi loh
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
              Hi Lynda- I have had the same issue with a couple of my cats and the pill pockets. One now will not even go near a pill pocket. I have tried 2 things with success. 1. I use Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food and squish the pill into one. They are very dry and crumbly so, you just have to try to split one and put the pill in the middle and then put it back together.2. Try using freeze dried chicken and crumble it up on a cat can cover with the pill hidden in the small pile of the freeze tried chicken. I have also done this with the Stella & Chewy's, but the freeze dried chicken works best. For bitter pills, I just have to pill the kitties. This is not too often thankfully. All cats are different. I do have one kitty that loves the pill pockets no matter what is in them. Best Wishes,-Shiloh
              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com; kittykatwhiskas@...
              From: ibdcat@...
              Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 05:22:23 -0800

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
                Absolutely, with pill pockets you are not putting it in her food. It is given to her like you would any treat and she gobbles it down without realizing. Well that is the hope anyway.

                Laurie