Re: [FH] Transdermal amlodipine

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
      I wouldn't use a transdermal version for something as important as amlodipine. Our experience with the transdermals, is that they are not absorbed very well and don't work as well. We used them with our angel Snowball with her Tapazole and one of her heart meds, and they didn't work well. If you use transdermals, you must make sure the skin is completely cleaned prior to each application and that the cream is massaged in for at least 60 seconds. Even though we did those things, Snowball's thyroid was never controlled with the transdermal cream and it's very doubtful if she even absorbed her heart med.

      Our Misty, who is now 21 1/2 years old, was horrible to pill in the beginning, but over time she has become completely compliant with pilling. We put the pills in a little "meatball" of cold canned food, and pill her with that... stick the pill/meatball to my finger and push it back on the side of her mouth as far as I can get it, and she just eats it... mostly swallows it, seldom chews to find the pill hidden inside.

      I'd keep trying to pill Fozzy. If it absolutely doesn't work, then I would use the compounded liquid and just put it in a very small amount of either canned food or baby food meat (we use Beechnut Stage 1), so you can be sure he eats it all.

      best of luck... I know how hard it is to get pills into them when they don't like it!

      Carol, Misty and the gang

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
        Hi,
        I can't comment on the specific medication being discussed, but my vet also does not recommend using transdermals except as a last resort for the same reason you mentioned - they are not absorbed into the system as well as the traditional pill/liquid formulations.

        I never had any luck pilling Chloe until the vet tech at Chloe's clinic taught me how to use a pill gun. Chloe won't eat ANYTHING other than her standard Fancy Feast - so no tricks hiding food in treats, and she won't accept liquid meds at all (she spits it back, foams at the mouth, etc.).

        My pilling procedure is: I gently wrap Chloe in a towel to prevent her from moving, then face her with the pill-loaded gun. Next, I very gently pry her mouth open, and "deploy the gun". I always put the pill inside a gelatin capsule and very lightly coat the capsule with a teeny-tiny bit of unsalted margarine to insure the capsule "slides" down easily. I follow up with a little bit of water from a small syringe.

        I helps if you have someone hold your towel-wrapped kitty - but Chloe is pretty compliant with the procedure, so I usually go it alone. Chloe occasionally works the capsule back out with her tongue, but after a few tries, I'm successful.

        Hope this helps.

        Suzanne and Chloe

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

        > I wouldn't use a transdermal version for something as important as amlodipine. Our experience with the transdermals, is that they are not absorbed very well and don't work as well. We used them with our angel Snowball with her Tapazole and one of her heart meds, and they didn't work well. If you use transdermals, you must make sure the skin is completely cleaned prior to each application and that the cream is massaged in for at least 60 seconds. Even though we did those things, Snowball's thyroid was never controlled with the transdermal cream and it's very doubtful if she even absorbed her heart med.
        >
        > Our Misty, who is now 21 1/2 years old, was horrible to pill in the beginning, but over time she has become completely compliant with pilling. We put the pills in a little "meatball" of cold canned food, and pill her with that... stick the pill/meatball to my finger and push it back on the side of her mouth as far as I can get it, and she just eats it... mostly swallows it, seldom chews to find the pill hidden inside.
        >
        > I'd keep trying to pill Fozzy. If it absolutely doesn't work, then I would use the compounded liquid and just put it in a very small amount of either canned food or baby food meat (we use Beechnut Stage 1), so you can be sure he eats it all.
        >

        > best of luck... I know how hard it is to get pills into them when they don't like it!
        >
        > Carol, Misty and the gang

      • Elise Eisfelder
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
          I don"t know about it but even half a regular amlodipine pill Ian"t working so I would want the pills if I were you

          Elise

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Shannon Gormley
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
            Thanks for the replies. My problem with Fozzy is not that of getting a pill down her throat - it is a problem of actually catching her in order to pill her. She was a feral when I took her in, so she has to approach you of her own volition, even to be pet. There is no walking up to her to pet, pill, brush her etc. If she is approached without her express approval, she will run and hide. That's why we did the I-131 for her thyroid. I will keep trying to find something that she will eat in order to get enough of the pill in her. Thanks again for the input.

            Shannon

          • zan200
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
              Hi Shannon,

              Have you tried something called "Feline Greenies Pill Pockets"? My vet sells them at her clinic - they are salmon or chicken flavored pocket-shaped cat treats specfically designed to hide medications. You supposedly give your kitty a couple of treats at a time - one with the pill hidden inside and one without. The whole "treat" idea gets a big thumbs down from Chloe, but maybe Fozzy would be more receptive.

              Hope this might help,
              Suzanne and Chloe

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Gormley <gustysg1974@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the replies. My problem with Fozzy is not that of getting a pill down her throat - it is a problem of actually catching her in order to pill her. She was a feral when I took her in, so she has to approach you of her own volition, even to be pet. There is no walking up to her to pet, pill, brush her etc. If she is approached without her express approval, she will run and hide. That's why we did the I-131 for her thyroid. I will keep trying to find something that she will eat in order to get enough of the pill in her. Thanks again for the input.
              >
              > Shannon

            • Judi Levens
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                I've been using them very successfully.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Nov 28, 2012, at 1:31 PM, "zan200" <zan200@...> wrote:

                > Hi Shannon,
                >
                > Have you tried something called "Feline Greenies Pill Pockets"? My vet sells them at her clinic - they are salmon or chicken flavored pocket-shaped cat treats specfically designed to hide medications. You supposedly give your kitty a couple of treats at a time - one with the pill hidden inside and one without. The whole "treat" idea gets a big thumbs down from Chloe, but maybe Fozzy would be more receptive.
                >
                > Hope this might help,
                > Suzanne and Chloe
                >
                > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Gormley <gustysg1974@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for the replies. My problem with Fozzy is not that of getting a pill down her throat - it is a problem of actually catching her in order to pill her. She was a feral when I took her in, so she has to approach you of her own volition, even to be pet. There is no walking up to her to pet, pill, brush her etc. If she is approached without her express approval, she will run and hide. That's why we did the I-131 for her thyroid. I will keep trying to find something that she will eat in order to get enough of the pill in her. Thanks again for the input.
                > >
                > > Shannon

              • Laurie Stead
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                  I have great success too especially the salmon as they are softer and easier to mold around the pill.  I only use half... just enough to wrap the pill without a lot of extra, and attach Boo's favorite crunchy treat to the outside. She gobbles them down and begs me for more every time I am in the kitchen.  She loves her "pill treats".

                  Laurie

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
                    Martha chews her food, even canned. Every time she spots the pill and spits it out. Any way to overcome this with pill pockets?

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Blessings,
                    Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

                  • Shi loh
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Hi Lynda- I have had the same issue with a couple of my cats and the pill pockets. One now will not even go near a pill pocket. I have tried 2 things with success. 1. I use Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food and squish the pill into one. They are very dry and crumbly so, you just have to try to split one and put the pill in the middle and then put it back together.2. Try using freeze dried chicken and crumble it up on a cat can cover with the pill hidden in the small pile of the freeze tried chicken. I have also done this with the Stella & Chewy's, but the freeze dried chicken works best. For bitter pills, I just have to pill the kitties. This is not too often thankfully. All cats are different. I do have one kitty that loves the pill pockets no matter what is in them. Best Wishes,-Shiloh
                      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com; kittykatwhiskas@...
                      From: ibdcat@...
                      Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 05:22:23 -0800

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
                        Absolutely, with pill pockets you are not putting it in her food. It is given to her like you would any treat and she gobbles it down without realizing. Well that is the hope anyway.

                        Laurie