Re: [FH] Do you still play with them?

  • keycmv
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2012
      Our boy may be 19, but he is still a heck of a hunter. He loves chasing feathers on a string. We've learned to limit this particular play to just a few short minutes as he gets winded easily.

      We still give him toys with catnip and also let him race us up and down the stairs.

      We let him play - outside of eating and sleeping, what else is left for a cat to do!

      He still goes RVing with us. Although we don't take him when altitude changes are involved - a Christmas trip last year had a steep climb that triggered the heart failure that made us aware of his condition. This cat loves to RV, because we usually leave the rest of the clan at home and he gets to be spoiled. He doesn't have to share the bed with the other cats, and he gets our undivided attention at play time.

      Carol and Gump
    • kpolone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2012
        Hi Laurie - He seems ok today. Everything seems "normal". We played for about a minute or two. It was with a feather toy.

        Kevin

        From: Kevin O'Lone <kpolone@...>
        Subject: [FH] Do you still play with them?
        To: "Heart" <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 9:20 PM

        Do others still play with their cats? Nike really liked to play before his issues started.

        I was playing with Falana and Nike started to play. Everything seemed fine until he staggered and walked into the wall. He fell in front of the bathroom. I was getting dressed so I could take him to the ER. As I was getting dressed he started walking around like nothing was wrong. He responded to his name and commands like normal. At this point he is laying in my lap like normal.

        Kevin

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2012
          When my precious little Tigger was diagnosed with HCM at 6 months of age, I told my vet I was terrified to play with him. But my vet had some wise words. He said that Tigger didn't know he was sick, and wanted to be a normal kitten. He said kitties are "here for a good time, not a long time -- so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday". So Tigger (who is 8 now) and I play everyday -- a little exercise is actually good for his heart. He loves his mousie on a string the best, so we play with that, and he chases it around and up his cat tree, etc. I just watch him very carefully. The second I see him slowing down or breathing harder, we stop. I wait at least 10 minutes for him to catch his breath and calm down, then we play for longer if he wants to. I also throw things for him to chase the length of the hallway, even tho he seldom brings them back. The cat tree has truly helped him build up his upper body strength. When I first got it 5 years ago he couldn't get up to the little house on the top. But he worked on it, and now he just bops up there in a moment. It has definitely made him stronger.

          Tigger has periods of time (sometimes for a couple weeks) when I cannot get him to play, when he just wants to lay around, and that's okay too. But when he brings me the mousie, I know he's feeling good and wants to play. I know a little exercise will only help him in the long run.

          If your kitty has more serious HCM than Tigger has, or is on more meds, has history of heart failure or fluid build-up, etc -- play very gently and don't make them run or jump. But give them a chance to enjoy being a kitty for a while each day. Don't keep them in a bubble -- I think you know what I mean....