Checked Oreo's mouth and it DOES appear that where his left Canine

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2012
      was removed, it is definitly swollen, maybe infected. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. I started him back on antibiotics last night and he was better this morning. He ate all his breakfast and nagged me to get up and feed him. I checked his mouth and his gum is still swollen ( but better) at the exact left top Canine tooth that was removed (he had 5 teeth in all)and this ONE had a stitch that originally didn't dissolve , so 2 weeks ago the vet took it out. He was "better" after the stitch removal, ate great for the last week, then thursday started splattering his food when he ate again, which must have been when this swelling started, the same day he decided to nap in the bath tub (very odd behavior, but now i know it was the pain) . He's had post op bloodwork, extensive, a full panel and all was well there, so it all boils down to this tooth. I had hoped that we weren't ging to go down this road anymore by having he dental, so I hope this is just a fluke. For now, I gave him a small amount of Buprenex and his antibiotics. Tomorrow will be the vet. Any thoughts on this healing process?
    • June Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2012
        Hi Susan,

        Swelling would indicate possible infection.  Maybe the wound from that tooth removal was so deep a little bit of infection set in and the course of antibiotic was not quite enough to completely clear it?  I found this information about Orbax which may be useful: http://www.vetinfo.com/feline-antibiotics-explained.html%c2%a0

        If your vet agrees infection is present maybe another full course would clear it up once and for all and as you have already started the Orbax again maybe its just a case of continuing to give that full course.  Good you are going to see the vet tomorrow and to get advice.

        Daisy was given Lincoject antibiotic injections after her dental and for nine days afterwards. I asked for the injections as her mouth was so sore I was not convinced I would be able to get the capules into her and was worried that if she would not eat any food with the contents sprinkled on it she would not get the full antibiotic course.  Although her gums were tender for quite a while they healed well with no infection coming back.
        Lincoject is an injectable formula of Lincomycin which is used to treat bacterial infections, skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia. dental (tooth) infections and other infections. I've attached a couple of links below for more information:
        http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/lincomycin-lincocin/page1.aspx%c2%a0
        http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/vsdb/Reports/1886.htm
         Will be thinking about and wishing you both all the best for tomorrow's vet visit.  Let us know how it goes and how Oreo is doing.

        Best wishes and purrs and a cuddle for Oreo,

        June, Freddie and Daisy and Angels Felix, Smudge and Fleur