Oreo/ update/ thinking mouth is hurting ??

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
      So, today, he had a hard time eating, he DID eat, but was splattering food from his mouth ( we are still blending it) like he was before and after surgery, but for about a week, he was eating well, last week.
      Then the bath tub incident happened yesterday and now today, he looked much better, but looked in a bit of pain. I gave him a very small amount (.10ml) of the buprenex and that helped, but I suspect Mirtazapine is in his future since he's not eating that great,(the vet said to watch him & give mirtazapine to keep him eating) but it really doesn't resemble nausea, just sore ? he doesn't look swollen in the gums when I look ? I just remember when I've had a couple teeth pulled, it does take a while. Am I rushing things? I keep forgetting he IS 16 and it might take longer ?

      Is there anyone out there that can give me some facts about the time after a big dental like he had ( 5 teeth removed, incl 2 canines), and maybe he might have been eating some dry food and bit it wrong, thus the current pain ?

      How long does it take to recover after this kind of surgery ?
    • Pamela Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
        My boy had 7 teeth pulled out a month ago today and is eating fine (but he eats canned and raw food). He has been off dry food for some time. Has Oreo been back for a checkup?
        Maybe his incisions are infected? Hope Oreo feels better soon.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • Pamela Williams

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
            My boy had 7 teeth pulled out a month ago today and is eating fine (but he eats canned and raw food). He has been off dry food for some time. Has Oreo been back for a checkup?
            Maybe he has an infection??

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
              My boy had 7 teeth pulled out a month ago today and is eating fine (but he eats canned and raw food). He has been off dry food for some time. Has Oreo been back for a checkup?
              Maybe he has an infection??

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            • June Jeffrey
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
                Hi Susan,

                My Daisy was 18 when she had seven teeth removed in April 2011.   Six were double rooted.  She didn't have any canines removed though, they were just scaled and cleaned.

                Daisy had pain relief and antibiotic injections for seven days by which time her gums had started to heal well.  My vet did tell me to keep an eye on her mouth on an ongoing basis for at least a month and if I had any concerns to take her in for a check up.  However, it took at least three months before she was back to herself (i.e. sleeping on her blanket on the bed instead of camping out on the stairs and landing or finding herself quiet spots which she had never used for sleeping before) and probably six to eight weeks before she was eating normally again. My previous experience of any of my kitties having dentals was just scaling and polishing and one extraction and on those occasions they were eating again with gusto as soon as they got back home.  They were also much younger than Daisy, so her long recuperation period was a worry.

                For the first two/three weeks the only thing she would/could eat was the jelly in Felix senior pouches which I had to separate from the chunks before I gave it to her.  It seemed the jelly was easier for her to lick up with her tongue and then swallow.  I was advised to give her pate type foods but she just didn't want to eat these, gave them a couple of licks, then just walked away.  She then gradually progressed to soft chunks -
                e.g. Royal Canin Oral Mature ( http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/royal_canin_cat_food/royal_canin_mature/133241#composition%c2%a0), Sheba Delicious Morsels with Chicken and Turkey, Hills Science Plan Tender Chunks in Gravy - Ocean Fish/Chicken.  She is now on Royal Canin S/O renal pouches, beef flavour and also has a spinking of the Royal Canin renal biscuits as a treat (loves both and even purrs when eating).

                I know canines are deep rooted and would therefore probably take even longer to fully heal than double rooted teeth.  Would imagine that if he did get some biscuits and they pressed the gum before it's fully healed it could cause some pain and/or bruising of tender healing gums.  Would explain the buprenex helping.  Could you prevent him getting any biscuiits for a few days to see if that helps along with giving a little additional pain relief?  Might also be an idea to check with his vet what the usual time is for gums where canines have been extracted from to heal (although appreciate you may have already done this).

                Bottom line is this is a big operation for any kitty and especially a senior kitty.  Oreo has done so very well, not least because of the excellent care he has had from both you and his vet.

                I hope this helps and please do keep us updated as to how Oreo is doing.

                Best wishes and purrs,

                June, Freddie and Disy and Angels Felix, Smudge and Fleur

                ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
                        My boy had 7 teeth pulled out a month ago today and is eating fine (but he eats canned and raw food). He has been off dry food for some time. Has Oreo been back for a checkup?
                        Maybe he has an infection??

                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      • Westgold
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
                          This is exactly what I was thinking. He may have gotten a tiny sharp crumb from that kibble you gave him lodged in the empty socket or against one of he remaining teeth. I definitely wouldn't give any more kibbles, unless you soak them thoroughly until there are no sharp little pieces. And don't forget about the a/d food you can get from the vet -- it is so soft and has all the vitamins they need, even if they only eat a little bit at a time. You can also easily dilute it a bit and syringe in. Oreo must eat several times every day, or you'll have bigger problems than you have now. we're all praying for his complete recovery -- but it looks like it's gonna be a long procedure. Don't rush it -- just keep him fed and watered and loved --

                          e.g. Royal Canin Oral Mature ( http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/royal_canin_cat_food/royal_canin_mature/133241#composition ), Sheba Delicious Morsels with Chicken and Turkey, Hills Science Plan Tender Chunks in Gravy - Ocean Fish/Chicken. She is now on Royal Canin S/O renal pouches, beef flavour and also has a spinking of the Royal Canin renal biscuits as a treat (loves both and even purrs when eating).

                        • mmayer11@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
                            Pam....Is this post on a loop...it just keeps coming!?!

                            Marianna

                          • Susan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
                              Yes, Oreo is on a STRICT regimin of being fed 4 times per day, at least 2.5 oz , 4 times per day to maintain his 14lb weight. We have done well and am proud of the fact that almost a year ago was when he was diagnosed with the CRF and with his EXTREME pickiness, and me running to MULTIPLE stores each week for a different variety of food just to keep him eating, it's been a struggle, but obviously worth it.
                              He will not eat any of the kidney foods,(he's got CRF) I can occasionally sneak it in when he is feeling well, but definitly not while we are having these challenges, or he won't eat at all. He doesn't care for dry food, but occasionally nibbles on it in the middle of the night. I have other cats , so the food is left down. But maybe I need to remove it in the places he stays in. I so appreciate all of the advice I am getting and am using every bit of ot. thank you
                              If it weren't for this site and all you caring people, I would have lost my mind a year ago.
                              Thank you