Re: [FH] OT: Third Eyelid

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      Laurie, a couple of years ago, when we were expecting that Martha was not going to make it, I noticed the third eyelid--and panicked. I was certain it was a sign of imminent death and that she would not live through the night. The next day it was gone and now, 2 years later, she is doing better than she has in a very long time. That eyelid has come and gone over the years and never seemed to amount to anything.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Blessings,
      Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

      Just curious if anyone can enlighten me on my non-heart kitty's 3rd eyelid showing partially.  It is the corner of both eyes but not all the time.  For example, yesterday it was showing and today it isn't.

      He has seen the vet, and had a full senior profile done with nothing out of the ordinary.  I have always thought this was indication of illness so although the vet was not overly worried (the usual "monitor it"), I still worry.

      Thanks!

      Laurie

    • Lee Evans
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
        Elevated third eyelid (nictating membrane) may be a sign of stomach upset, digestive disorder.  I have a cat who gets up from sleep and looks like Mr. Weird Eyes for a while, with the nictating membrane very visible in both eyes, but then it goes away.  If the membrane is always present and elevated, that's a sign that the cat needs to go to the clinic to see if anything major is wrong.

        Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!