Re: [FH] Are heart murmurs common in Singapuras?

  • Kevin O'Lone
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2012
      I am very new to this but I wanted to respond. Nike is my traditional Siamese boy that has heart issues. His murmur was detected at 4 years old by an ER vet. It is obvious that my vet, at the time, missed it. Shortly after this I changed vets and she mentioned the murmur during the first visit. She didn't have the records from the ER therefore didn't have any knowledge. It was listed as a grade 1. She wanted me to take him to a cardiologist. At the time I could not afford it because of his struvite crystal issues(long story) and my other cat's IBD / pancreatitis issue. It was decided that he would go to the cardiologist if something changed. Fast forward 4 years to October 2012, he started having breathing issues therefore we took him to the vet and later the cardiologist. His issues were diagnosed and are being treated. We may have been able to slow the progress if everything was known earlier.

      My point of the story is take him to the cardiologist if you can afford it. Your vet is right about taking him. The sound of a murmur doesn't tell you all of the needed information.

      Kevin

      Sent from my iPad