Chloe - Post-Thanksgiving Update

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hi All,

      First, I would like to thank Lyn for her kind and helpful note - and a big thanks to everyone here - you've helped Chloe and me so much over these past few weeks. It's wonderful to have the support of such a great group of folks...

      After a miserable Wednesday and Thursday, Chloe thankfully began to perk up after the increased doses of Lasix kicked in late Thursday afternoon - 1X per day was definitely not enough. She's back on the 1/2 tab 2X and looking and acting better. I had my car packed with Chloe's carrier on Thursday, preparing for a Thanksgiving trip to the Emergency Hospital - Chloe looked frighteningly awful - coughing, rapid breathing, not eating...the works. Scary, scary, scary.

      I've got Chloe on her AM dose of Lasix at 8:30AM, cypro at noon, Pepcid at 6:00PM, and Lasix again at 8:30PM. She's thankfully nibbling some Fancy Feast periodically throughout the day/night, drinking, urinating, etc. She coughed once last night, but nothing since - thank goodness, and her respiration rate has been in the 24-28 range.

      I'm stil worried about her potassium level, and if all goes well tonight, I'm thinking of trying one of the potassium gluconate capsules tomorrow afternoon - I'm afraid of upsetting her stomach, so I'll try a small dose and hope all goes well.

      Hoping and praying all stays calm for Chloe and the rest of the kitties here at Feline-Heart...

      Thanks again,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2012
        Hi Suzanne

        That's good news for Chloe.Her respiration rate is much better and she
        sounds like she is stabilising. Lasix once a day is definitely a no no, it only
        works for about eight hours. It's a case of tweaking the drugs to find
        what works and then waiting for the heart drugs to tke effect. The most
        important and vital thing is to get the fluid off the lungs.

        Hopefully she will take some potassium and this will also help her. And
        it's great news she is hungry!

        :) Lyn