Are heart murmurs common in Singapuras?

  • hj_jordan_61
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2012
      My partner and I have a male Singapura kitten, Pippin, who has a heart murmur. Our regular vet diagnosed him when we brought him for a well check. She's followed him during his first year to see if he would outgrow it. He's not just a bit over one, and she say she can still hear it. She's recommended we take him to a cardiologist to determine how severe it is.

      I'm curious - are heart murmurs common in Singapuras? If so, what types are more common?

      We're very fond of him already and wonder what kind of life he may have. He's all kitten now, seemingly without any problems.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2012
        Hello

        Your vet is absolutely right to have your kitten tested with a heart scan.
        Heart murmurs can be caused by many things. The most likely at that age
        will be what is called valve dysplasia. It means the heart valves flap
        slightly and this is common in pedigree cats. I have four cats with this
        condition, it does not progress and is essentially harmless.

        However, a heart murmur can be sign of early HCM which is an inherited
        heart disease which does progress and early treatment is helpful. My kitten
        was diagnosed at 3 months old with HCM and given months to live. She is 6
        years now. A heart murmur can also be a congenital disease. My Milli has two
        holes in her heart.

        But the only way to tell is an echocardiogram at the cardiologist. It is a
        non invasive test, he sits on the nurse's knee and there's no sedation.
        It's totally safe and results are the same day.

      • Kevin O'Lone
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2012
          I am very new to this but I wanted to respond. Nike is my traditional Siamese boy that has heart issues. His murmur was detected at 4 years old by an ER vet. It is obvious that my vet, at the time, missed it. Shortly after this I changed vets and she mentioned the murmur during the first visit. She didn't have the records from the ER therefore didn't have any knowledge. It was listed as a grade 1. She wanted me to take him to a cardiologist. At the time I could not afford it because of his struvite crystal issues(long story) and my other cat's IBD / pancreatitis issue. It was decided that he would go to the cardiologist if something changed. Fast forward 4 years to October 2012, he started having breathing issues therefore we took him to the vet and later the cardiologist. His issues were diagnosed and are being treated. We may have been able to slow the progress if everything was known earlier.

          My point of the story is take him to the cardiologist if you can afford it. Your vet is right about taking him. The sound of a murmur doesn't tell you all of the needed information.

          Kevin

          Sent from my iPad