Re: [FH] Cat with severe HCM and Asthma in CHF

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
      I included the heart group on your message as I don't want to miss any valuable input to help your kitty.

      I have not heard of a kitty suffering heart failure (lungs filled with fluid) that was not hospitalized but perhaps they think the fluid is under control with the lasix?  So he is receiving lasix, benazepril and aspirin?

      Make sure when you are counting his breaths he is at rest... sleeping but not dreaming... each inward breath is a count of one... count over 15 seconds and multiply that # by 4. That gives you his resting resp rate (RRR).  By doing it this way are you getting 40+?

      The seizure you describe is nothing I have seen from the heart so I am hoping others in the group can help.

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
        Hang in there! It can get better! Others have provided more specific feedback but I thought I'd share this:

        My kitty is in the middle stage of HCM and had his first CHF Oct 8th. It took two weeks of close monitoring and medicine before he was "better." In addition to medicine, my kitty health further improved when I changed his diet to Science Diet g/d. It is low in sodium and has taurine.

        My thoughts are with you.