Cat with severe HCM and Asthma in CHF

  • nbilouzenko
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
      This past Thursday my beloved baby kitty who is only 4 years old had a seizure. I immediately drove to my vet and they did blood work, xrays, and checked his blood pressure. They tell me he has fluid in his lungs and that his heart looks enlarged. They start him on furosemide (.5ml 2x a day) and half of a benazepril every day and recommended us to a cardiologist for an ultrasound of his heart. He had been having very minor "episodes" until yesterday when he had the most frightening and heart breaking seizure. We made an emergency appointment with the cardiologist and visited him this morning. He tells us that my poor baby has severe HCM, asthma and is in CHF. His breathing has been laboured since the first episode but he has not started coughing or open mouthed breathing yet and he is also still eating quite frequently (only wet food) and going to the bathroom on a regular basis. They say he most likely has only 4-6 months left with us. It is so hard to watch him be so sick and it is breaking my heart beyond repair. Does anyone know of anything I can do to make him more comfortable? His rapid breathing really terrifies me. Open windows? I purchased a humidifier for our bedroom hoping it would help him breathe better at night. Somebody please help me! And if anyone is going through the same situation please share your stories. I'm trying to fill my brain with all the information I can.

      My husband and I have been up all night researching what else we can do that might help. I've read that giving him COQ10, L'Carnitine, and fish oil supplements are very beneficial for a cat with his condition. Went to the health food store and picked some up today. I emptied a capsule of the L'Carnitine in his wet food and also wrapped a 50mg COQ10 capsule in some of his food and he gobbled it up, tried giving him the fish oil but he hated it because it smells like orange. I might have to give it to him in a baby syringe. I called the cardiologist that we had visited yesterday before I gave these to him and asked if he thought it might help? He told me it has not been proven but it is worth a shot and that it can't hurt him. He did mention that if he starts having diarrhea then to stop the L'Carnitine for 2 days. Hopefully this will help my baby stay with us longer. I can't lose him! Does anyone know what the best way to give it to him would be? and how much I should really be giving him daily?
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
        I am so sorry to heart about kitty, what is his name?

        First off, I am shocked the cardiologist did not hospitalize kitty if he is suffering CHF.  He needs the fluid removed and oxygen.  What is kitty's resting respiratory rate now?  If it is above 40 or any open mouthed breathing, kitty needs to be rushed to the ER for the proper care.

        Once kitty makes it thru CHF there are other drugs/supplements to consider but the most important thing right now is to be sure the fluid is removed from the lungs.

        When you say "had a seizure" what do you mean?

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
          Hello

          I am sorry to hear your kitty is poorly and in heart failure. But there are
          a number of things you can do. Don't listen to the prognosis, my girl had
          serious HCM at 3 months old and is now 6 years old, despite being given a
          few months to live at the time.

          I am glad you have seen a cardiologist to see what is happening with his
          heart. They can add more drugs if need be and see what is causing the problem
          on the scan. And they may increase the furosemide and add a further
          diuretic to help until his heart is under control. It is vital the fluid is got
          under control first.

          The seizures may be heart related or a separate problem. He may be having
          small blood clots, did the cardiologist mention that? If so there are drugs
          like plavix available or the herbal nattokinase which dissolves clots.
          However if the seizures are caused by cerebral bleeding, this will not help at
          all, so please ask the cardiologist.

          What is his breathing rate at rest? Count for 15 seconds and times by 4. It
          should be around 20-25, up to 30 is fairly good. Its good he is eating,
          that means he's comfortable. Does his breathing get better after the lasix?
          If it is over 40, that's an emergency.

          I give Coq too and it seems to help a lot. But once he starts it, don't
          stop suddenly, that's dangerous, make sure he keeps on it . Mine have taken it
          for years. And get a fish oil especially made for cats, the human ones are
          flavoured and horrible for cats. There are a number especially made for
          pets and they love it in paste form.

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
            I included the heart group on your message as I don't want to miss any valuable input to help your kitty.

            I have not heard of a kitty suffering heart failure (lungs filled with fluid) that was not hospitalized but perhaps they think the fluid is under control with the lasix?  So he is receiving lasix, benazepril and aspirin?

            Make sure when you are counting his breaths he is at rest... sleeping but not dreaming... each inward breath is a count of one... count over 15 seconds and multiply that # by 4. That gives you his resting resp rate (RRR).  By doing it this way are you getting 40+?

            The seizure you describe is nothing I have seen from the heart so I am hoping others in the group can help.

            Laurie

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
              Hang in there! It can get better! Others have provided more specific feedback but I thought I'd share this:

              My kitty is in the middle stage of HCM and had his first CHF Oct 8th. It took two weeks of close monitoring and medicine before he was "better." In addition to medicine, my kitty health further improved when I changed his diet to Science Diet g/d. It is low in sodium and has taurine.

              My thoughts are with you.