Re: [FH] Digest Number 5586

  • Lee Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2012
      So glad that Sheba is doing well.  I usually lurk here reading all the messages.  About 5 months ago Mr. T, a cat who I had for about 7 years became very ill.  I had no idea before that that anything was wrong.  We went to a night emergency clinic that is 40 miles from where I live.  He had stopped eating and he was coughing.  He had been losing weight for about a month but as I didn't have transportation and as he was still eating normally, I put off a vet visit to get him tested for thyroid disorder.  Anyway, the emergency vet took x-rays.  He had congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema and a mass in his stomach.  I don't know how the poor cat stayed alive, happy and eating while all that was developing.  The vet said it was hopeless to try to keep him alive because he had fluid in his lungs and the tumor was large and probably malignant.  Mr. T was euthanized while I held him and talked to him. He went quickly.

      These days, I go through all my 38 cats at least once a week counting breathing rhythm and listening for odd breathing, feeling backbones and evaluating physical activity levels.  I am definitely becoming paranoid.  Hopefully, from all the things I have learned by reading the posts on this group, I will be able to catch any heart ailment before it goes critical.

      Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!