Boo heart kitty, now early stage of CRF - Miralax question

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi,

      My apologies for the overlap but I wanted to bounce this off both the
      heart group and the CRF group (i know several of you belong to both).

      I included my original post regarding this topic below for any new members and a reminder of Boo's condition.  Overwhelmingly the response to my Sept inquiry was to try Miralax and it worked beautifully... thank you to all who recommended it.

      My question is how long do you continue to give it?  Boo currently receives 1/8 tsp daily for about 2mos now.  Just today her poop showed slight diarrhea so I want to be sure I am not overtaxing her by continuing to give it to her on a daily basis.  Does it make sense to give it every other day or should I continue with the daily dose? Do you normally keep them on this always or is it something that gets them back on track and then you taper them off it?

      Thanks again!
      Laurie and Boo

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
        Hi Laurie

        If this cat is in renal failure, I would not use miralax. I had to go to the kidney doctor for myself and I was using this product and he said it is a big NO-NO for renal patients. Read the warning............I missed it on the miralax bottle. DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE KIDNEY DISEASE, EXCEPT UNDER THE ADVISE OF A DOCTOR.

        In regards to Miralax he told me stories when older people who have to have a colonospocy (sp), a lot of older people do not know they are having kidney problems and when you have this procedure done, you are basically taking an overdose of this drug and they went into kidney failure

        Use psylium............its much safer and harmless for the kidneys.

        Cathy