Respiration Rate - Resting vs. Sleeping

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
      Hi All,

      Is it normal for the respiration rate to be higher when your cat is sitting quietly versus actually being asleep?

      This afternoon Chloe was sitting quietly on my lap, but her respiration rate was about 32 (the highest reading I've gotten since I began monitoring her). Chloe eventually fell asleep and her respiration rate slowed down to 24.

      Do you need to monitor the respiration rate only when your cat is fully asleep?

      Thanks!
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • mmayer11@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
        Right, you'll get your accurate reading when she is asleep. 32 isn't too high for Chloe while she is awake and snuggling with you.

        Marianna

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012
          Hi Suzanne,

          You want to monitor the sleeping rate, and 24 is good :-)

          Laurie