Re: [FH] update on Lucky

  • tafoster4000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2012
      My 17yr old Moe was diagnosed with severe restrictive cardiomyopathy in Feb. Never shown any heart symptoms, no murmur, nothing. He had just been diagnosed with hyperthyroid and wasn't feeling that good, so my vet gave him subq fluids, 2 days later he was in ER in congestive heart failure. Lucky my ER is also a cardiology referral clinic, had 100ml of fluid tapped from chest and ECHO showed severe restrictive cardiomyopathy. Prognosis 2-3 months. Cardio vet said disease had been there for awhile and the subq threw him over the edge. She likened his ventricles to 2 plastic soda bottles with both atriums greatly enlarged.

      Moe is on 25mg lasix a day (12.5mg AM/PM), vetmedin, enalapril, plavix, methimazole, potassium, AlOH, calcitriol plus few others. He's kidneys have shown increased BUN over the last few years but BUN is climbing some over the last few months. Went from 30's to low 40's.

      But on his last ECHO 2 months ago, heart parameters have greatly improved and severe became moderate RCM. So meds are working.

      All blood work is done at my regular vet's office but faxed to cardiology vet who makes ALL decisions regarding his heart meds. His BUN is creeping up, but creatinine staying pretty stable at 2.2. Moe eats a grain free high protein diet, so will have a higher BUN.

      We tried lowering his lasix amount but he started getting fluid buildup again, so he has to stay on his current dose. Heart trumps the kidneys right now.

      He has blood work done every 6-8 weeks. Due this month, based on these numbers, if kidney numbrs still climbing, might try lowering his lasix but adding spiro but that is cardio's call. And will probably get an xray a few weeks after changing dose IF that happens. When he was 1st diagnosed, he was getting chest xrays once a week for 3 weeks.

      So his 2 month prognosis is now 9 months. So you just need to take it one day at a time.

      Taca