Re: New to forum-Winter, 4 month old kitten HCM?FIP? Bloodwork included

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2012
      Hi Parry

      FIP does not get better as you know. Wet FIP is very quickly fatal, so the
      fact she has perked up and is eating is reassuring. Cats don't get better
      at all. Wet FIP causes anorexia and as your vet said, the protein levels
      don't fit. But your cat has fluid in the abdomen and a heart murmur which
      could definitely be an indication of right sided heart failure. Winter needs an
      urgent and emergency ultrasound to check her heart. Right sided failure is
      usually a congenital problem and my Milli also has that, she has two holes
      in her heart and valve problems. Heart drugs and diuretics would be needed
      urgently if Winter has a heart problem causing failure.

      I pray for you it is not FIP. The effuison results would be fairly
      diagnostic but FIP can not be diagnosed accurately by blood test, just an
      indication that it is likely.

    • Karen Plasket
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2012
        Hi Parry,
        I would carry on with the Zithromycin and see where you are at after she finishes. I am not 100% convinced it is FIP, but in my experience (I had taken in a kitten that turned out to have FIP), it is a possibility. I do not like that the abdominal fluid was yellow, plus the amount that was drained.
        There is some blood test that is supposedly for HCM...again, in my experience, we haven't used it because it is not reliable. I would schedule an echocardiogram with a cardiologist...that is the most definitive way to rule in/rule out HCM. Although I am a relatively new graduate, I haven't seen a case of HCM with abdominal ascites...usually it's pulmonary effusion.
        I know you want definitive answers...I did, too, when I went through this. I really think the best course is to keep on the antibiotics, and try to schedule the echo. Please keep us updated!
        Karen Plasket, DVM