HCM

  • gaycarr43
    Message 1 of 78 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi Everyone, I posted a couple of weeks ago about my Alex. He was just diagnosed with HCM and I was having a really hard time getting his meds down. But thanks to you all, that is a problem solved. The pill poppers makes it so much easier and he loves them. My new problem is he has started losing weight in the last 2 weeks. He weighed 11. lbs, in Sept, 10.5 in Oct and now he weighs 10 lbs. I called the vet this afternoon and he did not know what could be causing it. He is acting normal escept for the appetitie. The vet suggested giving him only one atenolol per day instead of two to see if his appetite picks up. Has anyone had any expereince with this or any suggestions. Gay
    • Dana Michelle
      Message 78 of 78 , Sep 8, 2013
        Deb:
        Sorry to hear you and your little boy have to deal with HCM.  I know it's a devastating diagnosis, and everyone here has felt that panic of not knowing how long you have.  My Tink was diagnosed when he was probably 11 years old, after a heart murmur was found during an exam. He wasn't placed on any medication for it until this year, when his blood pressure elevated and required Atenolol for treatment. The only other related medication he has been on is methimazole for hyperthyroidism.  He is also on a tiny dose of prednisone for arthritis issues (it's a terrible drug for a heart kitty, if there was a choice, but in his case it's a matter of quality of life over quantity of life...he's miserable without that medication).

        Over the years, we've had a couple of echocardiograms done, but it stresses him and I haven't kept repeating it. He has had more EKGs, even as recently as the beginning of this year, and a few years ago he needed a dental done, but the cardiologist read his EKG and said it was not safe to put him under anesthesia. His heart disease is obviously progressing based on the EKGs, but we've been very very VERY lucky overall.  Now for the good news. My sweet little snuggle bug celebrated his 21st birthday in April. We know his actual birthday within a 3-day window, as he was "7 to 10 days old" per the vet, when we found him and his sister abandoned and sick in a drainage ditch on the side of the road.  I bottle fed him, and he's my baby boy. :)   I really don't remember which year he was diagnosed, but it was close to the time his sister died from cancer, and they were just over 11 years old when she passed.  Somewhere around 10 years we've been aware of the HCM, and he is still with me.  I know we've been incredibly lucky, and I feel so blessed to still have him with me.

        Try to enjoy every day you have with your boy. None of us know how long we have, but sometimes we get very lucky, and get to spend more time with our babies. Keep an eye out for the warning signs that things are progressing and medical attention is required, but otherwise just enjoy your boy. :)  I tend to "lurk" on the list for the most part, but there are SO many helpful people here. If you have questions, just ask. This wonderful group has been GREAT support over the years, and I can't say enough wonderful things about these people.

        I hope you have many, many more wonderful years with your little boy! :)
        Dana and Tink (who is napping in the sunshine, stretched out on his giant cushion in the bay window)