Re: [FH] High BP Even with Amlodipine

  • BubbaCat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
      Elise:
      Could you share with us what his T4 and FT4 values were? HyperT can certainly cause BP problems. If he were hyperT, you would want to address that first and foremost.

      Jo
      ________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
        Hi Jo,

        His T4 was 2.9 so a free t4 was run and it was mid-range 26.9(10-50). We'll see what the blood tests show and go from there.

        Elise

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
          Hi Elise

          What dose of amlodipine is he on? My cat was on 1/6th of a tablet (human
          strength tablet.. sorry I don't know the dose of a full tablet) once a day,
          then twice a day, and then 1/4 twice a day. We had to keep upping it. Then
          he went too low so he's on 1/4 once a day.

          A beta blocker would bring the blood pressure down too.

          Lyn:)

        • elise eisfelder
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
            Hi Lyn,

            He's on 1/4 amlodipine. I first used Costco brand and then switched to thrivingpets as it's easier to split. July and September his BP was fine but today it was way too high. My vet ran a full panel plus fPL so hopefully he' s not hyper-t. He has been in the gray zone before but his free T4 was mid-range. Thanks.

            Elise

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
              Hi Elise

              1/4 wasn't enough for Tom. He has 1/4 twice a day and that worked for a few
              weeks but then his BP went too low. So there is room to adjust the dose. I
              wasn't offered enalapril for Tom but will ask about it at his next
              check.:) My Arnold was also on 1/4 daily too.