Re: [FH] Oreo, one week post dental\anesthesia update...(PTOTOCOL USED)

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
      was posted in my posted at 5:58am....Its a really short protocol as the total time for surgery was 25 minutes...I took him home an hour after so he wouldn't get too stressed out. But he has a nice quiet closet (a walk in)he resided in for the week, able to come and go as he pleases & get out of the "noises" of the house when he needed to rest.Let me know if there's any other way to post the protocol other than a reply to the above post ??
      Thanks for all everyones help & guideance !
      Susan

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, mmayer11@... wrote:

      > What a great question...thank you, Wendy. I'd like to know the answer as well.
      >
      > Marianna
      >

      > >If you know, can you please tell us exactly what protocol the vet used for Oreo's dental -- what sedatives, >w>hat gas, what kind of monitoring, fluids? -- then we can save that for reference.
      >

      > -

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
        Thanks for this info, we can all learn from this. When I had Tigger neutered at 6 months, shortly after his HCM diagnosis, they kept him in the hospital the night before the surgery, on an IV drip all night -- so he was fully hydrated for the surgery. That might have been better for Oreo. But because our vets knew our little boys has HCM, they both worked quickly. My vet said he never did a neuter so fast!

        As for the atenolol -- Tigger as a hardly-existent muzzle and is impossible to pill. I tried once and it freaked him out so badly I thought his little heart was going to just give out. So we tried all the various forms that atenolol comes in. he hated the treats, hated the fish-flavored liquid. But the beef-flavor liquid barely smells at all and when mixed into his wet food he doesn't even notice it. So I suggest that. Chasing them and Pinning them down to give them a pill can't be good for their precious little hearts!