Re: [FH] Oreo, one week post dental\anesthesia update...

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
      What wonderful news --- he will be even better than he was before, without all that pain. Sometimes it's very hard for us to know what is best for them. But there's no denying a toothache, we all know how horrid that is. He's glad you were strong and took care of things for him. Just add about 1/2 can of extra hot water to the Friskies Pates, he will lap up that soup right away, then add some more water. My kitties love the soup. I mix Tigger's lysine and his liquid atenolol carefully into the top layer of the soup, and he laps it right up, I know he gets all his meds that way.

      If you know, can you please tell us exactly what protocol the vet used for Oreo's dental -- what sedatives, what gas, what kind of monitoring, fluids? -- then we can save that for reference.

    • June Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
        Hi Susan,

        Thanks for the update on Oreo and so pleased he is now recovering well.

        Having nursed my Daisy (then 18) through a dental last year I know your decision was not taken lightly.  I'll bet you were so pleased to see him on your bed this morning.

        Daisy now eats fine, chunks and biscuits (RC renal) and I'm sure Oreo will be fine too once his gums have completely healed.

        Oreo is a very brave kitty and you are a great kitty mom.

        Sending you both best wishes,

        June, Freddie and Daisy and Angels Felix, Smudge and Fleur

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
          Great to hear!

        • Pamela Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
            I am so glad that Oreo is feeling better. I hope and pray that each day he gets better and better. :-)

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • mmayer11@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
              You and poor Oreo have really been through a tough period, starting from before the surgery. I'm so glad the worst appears to be over. And so glad your vet has stuck with you. Please keep us posted. Oreo is always on my mind.
              Love,

              Marianna

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                What a great question...thank you, Wendy. I'd like to know the answer as well.

                Marianna

                >If you know, can you please tell us exactly what protocol the vet used for Oreo's dental -- what sedatives, >w>hat gas, what kind of monitoring, fluids? -- then we can save that for reference.

                -

              • June Jeffrey
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2012
                  Hello Michelle,

                  I noticed you asked about a protocol for a feline dental.  Hope you don't mind my giving details of my experience last year with my Baby Daisy's dental.

                  Last year I suspected dental problems with my 18 year old Daisy but thought she would be far too old for a dental.   Things came to a head on a Saturday in April (just after her birthday) as she had been eating less and less and on that morning refused any breakfast.   A visit to the vet (which has a dental unit) confirmed my fears.   Anne's suggestion to read the dental section on Helen's site and print it out to discuss with your vet is an excellent one and exactly what I did.
                  The vet suggested doing a blood test and if the results were reasonable consider doing the dental before things got any worse.   Daisy was given a long lasting antibiotic and an injectable painkiller - Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) to try and make her more comfortable over the weekend and encourage her to eat.   The vet rang me with the blood test results that afternoon and as they were considered reasonable for her age we made the decision to go for the dental the following Tuesday.
                  The information on Tanya's CRF site regarding precautions for dental procedures and suggestions and support from fellow list members helped more than I can say.   From these made I made a dental check list which I took with me on the day of the operation and I was able to show to and discuss with the vet, who was wonderful and very understanding of my concerns (Smudge, Fleur and Felix, Daisy's mother, sister and brother had all developed CRF and Smudge and Fleur had been given metacam in the past before I was aware of the issues with its administration in cats).   I had already discussed most of the points during the initial consultation but having that checklist and final discussion helped me feel I had done absolutely everything I could to help my Baby Daisy.   In case this is of any help details are as follows:
                  Dental Checklist
                  ·IV fluids before the procedure as well as during and after
                  ·Isoflurane or Sevoflurane to be used for anaesthesia
                  ·Blood pressure and temperature to be monitored during and afterwards
                  ·How will Daisy be kept warm during the procedure when Blood Pressure tends to drop and afterwards during recovery – heat pad?   Understand being kept warm during procedure and afterwards is important.   Vet said they used a heat pad to keep warm post operation, but being kept warm during the procedure was a good suggestion and they would do this with a portable heat pad.
                  ·Antibiotic clindamycin (Antirobe) to be used for up to seven days afterwards
                  ·NO METACAMto be given for pain relief - Daisy's records to be clearly marked with this
                  ·Buprenorphine to be given if pain relief required.
                  ·Any need to check for other jaw problems while under anaesthesia?
                  Daisy had seven teeth removed, six of them double rooted and needed lots of TLC afterwards.   We spent ten days going to the vet each day for antibiotic (Lincoject) and pain relief (Vetergesic, also known as Buprenorphine) injections to ensure she received a full course of antibiotics and could keep eating while her mouth healed.

                  Hope this is helpful for future reference.

[...]

                • Susan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
                    Hi,

                    Thank you for the kind words. As I am typing this, he just ate a full "liquid" breakfast, lol...The funny thing is, I have to put his 1/4 of the pill / Atenolol, crushed and into a syringe with some liquid food in order to get that one down. Shoot, it's only 1 small quarter, but he detects it EVERY time & won't touch his food, so that goes into him AFTER he's eaten his meal.

                    As far as "protocol", my vet followed the protocol that Oreo's cardiologist reccommended. In my opinion, he DID get his IV fluuids to fast, but the worry was keeping his blood pressure down & the length of time under anesthesia since this was the SECOND attempt at tis. We tried this 3 weeks ago & because she started the IV fluids 45 min prior, to get him well hydrated, his blood pressure shot thru the roof, just sitting there & waiting, so we decided he would get them, just at a faster rate to minimize stress.

                    1.) 125mls IV fluids & Vit B
                    2.) Propofol was used, he was in my lap while she inserted the catheter, after that, the table was all prepped, heated & ready for oreo., then only a touch of propofol was inserted into the cathter, just enough to make him super sleepy so he didn't know he was even being taken from me. The rest went in on the table.
                    3.) His intubation tube was inserted & his bp was monitored , while she has the epinephrine on hand & other items just in case.
                    4.) No pain meds were given during surgery since he had been given his regular dose in the morning for his already hurting teeth

                    It was that simple, as soon as the excubated him, he was wrapped in a towel & brought back to me in "our" room. I held him while he woke & were the first eyes he saw.
                    The whole thing toook less than 25 minutes, from start to finish. Like I said, I'm not sure pushining those IV fluids in that fast is right for everyone, but it was the lessor of 2 evils for Oreo. I was worried since he DOES have the cardiomyopathy & arrythmia, but it has remained stabile for 16 years. It's only been recently he developed the arrythmia. Next week he goes in for a follow up renal panel just to make sure we have covered all our bases. We've come this far.

                    Liquid Antenolol? I wonder if that tastes as bad as the pill. Trust me, I've tasted the pill, it has that bitter taste. I might have to have thriving pets get that together for next refill.

                    Thanks again. HTH- Susan

                    > What wonderful news --- he will be even better than he was before, without all that pain. Sometimes it's very hard for us to know what is best for them. But there's no denying a toothache, we all know how horrid that is. He's glad you were strong and took care of things for him. Just add about 1/2 can of extra hot water to the Friskies Pates, he will lap up that soup right away, then add some more water. My kitties love the soup. I mix Tigger's lysine and his liquid atenolol carefully into the top layer of the soup, and he laps it right up, I know he gets all his meds that way.
                    >
                    > If you know, can you please tell us exactly what protocol the vet used for Oreo's dental -- what sedatives, what gas, what kind of monitoring, fluids? -- then we can save that for reference.
                    >
                    > take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

                  • Susan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
                      was posted in my posted at 5:58am....Its a really short protocol as the total time for surgery was 25 minutes...I took him home an hour after so he wouldn't get too stressed out. But he has a nice quiet closet (a walk in)he resided in for the week, able to come and go as he pleases & get out of the "noises" of the house when he needed to rest.Let me know if there's any other way to post the protocol other than a reply to the above post ??
                      Thanks for all everyones help & guideance !
                      Susan

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, mmayer11@... wrote:

                      > What a great question...thank you, Wendy. I'd like to know the answer as well.
                      >
                      > Marianna
                      >

                      > >If you know, can you please tell us exactly what protocol the vet used for Oreo's dental -- what sedatives, >w>hat gas, what kind of monitoring, fluids? -- then we can save that for reference.
                      >

                      > -

                    • Westgold
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
                        Thanks for this info, we can all learn from this. When I had Tigger neutered at 6 months, shortly after his HCM diagnosis, they kept him in the hospital the night before the surgery, on an IV drip all night -- so he was fully hydrated for the surgery. That might have been better for Oreo. But because our vets knew our little boys has HCM, they both worked quickly. My vet said he never did a neuter so fast!

                        As for the atenolol -- Tigger as a hardly-existent muzzle and is impossible to pill. I tried once and it freaked him out so badly I thought his little heart was going to just give out. So we tried all the various forms that atenolol comes in. he hated the treats, hated the fish-flavored liquid. But the beef-flavor liquid barely smells at all and when mixed into his wet food he doesn't even notice it. So I suggest that. Chasing them and Pinning them down to give them a pill can't be good for their precious little hearts!