Re: [FH] Re: HCM cat's littermate now has murmur

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
      On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I am sorry to hear of Willow. As you know the only way to be sure is the
      > ultrasound but if that's impossible at the moment you could ask for
      > somehting
      > like fortekor to help with the heart.

      Clipsy didn't even get that, and she was the one who did have the HCM
      diagnosis. Wonder why?

      Anyway, what I'm wondering about with Willow is if it would be
      potentially helpful, and if there are any associated risks, to give
      him L-carnitine, CoQ10, and/or nattokinase. Any advice on those?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
        Hi Jim

        Unfortunately I've no idea about the answer to this. CoQ has benefit for
        heart cats but I`m not sure if it would harm non heart cats. Carnitine is
        just an amino acid and should be fine. Nattokinase comes from natto which the
        Japanese eat regularly. It dissolves clots which are present. Fortekor
        seems a mild drug which hasn't harmed any of my heart cats and I have a few on
        it.

        I sympathise. I have three brothers of one of my HCM cats. I watch them
        carefully and although they are insured, I can't just have them scanned for
        screening without symptoms as I can't afford the echo. I too wonder whould
        they start COq just in case. It's a difficult choice, I hope someone else
        knows more.