Re: HCM cat's littermate now has murmur

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hi

      I am sorry to hear of Willow. As you know the only way to be sure is the
      ultrasound but if that's impossible at the moment you could ask for somehting
      like fortekor to help with the heart. It seems to be a safe drug in my
      heart kitties and also helps the kidneys.

      My Sauce has triaditis and needs prednisolone for it, but obviously with
      HCM risk that drug is a steroid and dangerous.

    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
        On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am sorry to hear of Willow. As you know the only way to be sure is the
        > ultrasound but if that's impossible at the moment you could ask for
        > somehting
        > like fortekor to help with the heart.

        Clipsy didn't even get that, and she was the one who did have the HCM
        diagnosis. Wonder why?

        Anyway, what I'm wondering about with Willow is if it would be
        potentially helpful, and if there are any associated risks, to give
        him L-carnitine, CoQ10, and/or nattokinase. Any advice on those?

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
          Hi Jim

          Unfortunately I've no idea about the answer to this. CoQ has benefit for
          heart cats but I`m not sure if it would harm non heart cats. Carnitine is
          just an amino acid and should be fine. Nattokinase comes from natto which the
          Japanese eat regularly. It dissolves clots which are present. Fortekor
          seems a mild drug which hasn't harmed any of my heart cats and I have a few on
          it.

          I sympathise. I have three brothers of one of my HCM cats. I watch them
          carefully and although they are insured, I can't just have them scanned for
          screening without symptoms as I can't afford the echo. I too wonder whould
          they start COq just in case. It's a difficult choice, I hope someone else
          knows more.