Re: HCM cat's littermate now has murmur

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
      He'll need an echo when possible and from a cardiologist who can tell exactly what is going on and who can recommend any meds. You could get xrays and have the vet measure to see how much larger than normal is the heart if it is, or how are the veins or if there's any sign of congestion in the lungs.

      Until then, monitor for breathing problems, lethargy,etc.  If the heart has enlarged on the xrays or if there's congestion, then start lasix but again you'll need an echo to get a complete picture. The bp isn't really an indicator of HCM.  And blood work won't necessarily show any symptoms.

      Good luck!

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of Willow. As you know the only way to be sure is the
        ultrasound but if that's impossible at the moment you could ask for somehting
        like fortekor to help with the heart. It seems to be a safe drug in my
        heart kitties and also helps the kidneys.

        My Sauce has triaditis and needs prednisolone for it, but obviously with
        HCM risk that drug is a steroid and dangerous.

      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
          On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am sorry to hear of Willow. As you know the only way to be sure is the
          > ultrasound but if that's impossible at the moment you could ask for
          > somehting
          > like fortekor to help with the heart.

          Clipsy didn't even get that, and she was the one who did have the HCM
          diagnosis. Wonder why?

          Anyway, what I'm wondering about with Willow is if it would be
          potentially helpful, and if there are any associated risks, to give
          him L-carnitine, CoQ10, and/or nattokinase. Any advice on those?

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
            Hi Jim

            Unfortunately I've no idea about the answer to this. CoQ has benefit for
            heart cats but I`m not sure if it would harm non heart cats. Carnitine is
            just an amino acid and should be fine. Nattokinase comes from natto which the
            Japanese eat regularly. It dissolves clots which are present. Fortekor
            seems a mild drug which hasn't harmed any of my heart cats and I have a few on
            it.

            I sympathise. I have three brothers of one of my HCM cats. I watch them
            carefully and although they are insured, I can't just have them scanned for
            screening without symptoms as I can't afford the echo. I too wonder whould
            they start COq just in case. It's a difficult choice, I hope someone else
            knows more.