Re: [FH] Having a hard time getting my Oreo back ugh, but

  • June Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2012
      Hi Susan,

      In May last year my Daisy (then 18) had seven teeth removed, six of them double rooted and needed lots of TLC afterwards. We spent ten days going to the vet each day for antibiotic (Lincoject), and pain relief (Vetergesic) injections were also given for the first 7 days, to ensure she received a full course of antibiotics (ten days as recommended) and could keep eating while her mouth healed.  The vet also checked her temperature and how the teeth were healing during that time which thank goodness they were.

      For the first week she would (could?) only eat the jelly from Felix senior pouches (I'm in the UK).  I separated the jelly from the chunks in each pouch when I realised she needed a very soft food and the pate varieties I had been recommended to feed were refused.  I also noticed she ate more after the pain relief injections and as these wore off she ate less so it seemed the pain relief did help with eating while her mouth healed.  She gradually started to eat more solid food after the first week.

      Daisy took quite a few weeks to get back to her usual self.  She has always had a blanket on my bed but after coming home from the dental decided to camp out on the stairs/landing, stayed there for hours and wouldn't come near the bedroom.  She was also very quiet at first and several times I found her tucked up asleep in quiet corners where she had never gone before almost as though she were hiding.  I almost had the feeling she was having a hard time forgiving me for putting her through the dental, but she had virtually stopped eating because of the teeth problems so felt there was no choice but to have it done.  She finally returned to her blanket on the bed about three months later.

      As the surgery was only 48 hours ago maybe Oreo does need some pain medication.  Is he having a full course of antibiotics post surgery?  If you have any concerns I would seriously consider taking him for a check up just to make sure everything is ok.

      Once Oreo has recovered you could consider a blood test to check his post operation kidney values.

      Hope this helps and that Oreo is soon feeling much happier.  Please keep us updated.

      Best wishes,

      June, Freddie and Daisy and Angels Felix, Smudge and Fleur