Re: [FH] how LONG before the anesthesia wears off? its been 8 hours and hes

  • mmayer11@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
      Dear Susan,
      Give him tonight to rest. He's been through so much. Sleep is a great restorative. He needs it! God bless him, his little body has been through so much between all the pain with those awful rotten teeth, and then the surgery and all that entailed. Don't worry too much. Oh I know you will. But his breathing is normal, so you are on the right side of that. Tomorrow should give you some idea of how he is doing. Being alert tonight is not necessary, at least in my humble opinion, it's not imperative or expected.

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
        You brought him directly home after the operation? Then he needs peace and quiet and some darkness. Perhaps no more pain meds until he's up. He should be up tomorrow. Put out some food and water and see if he eats overnight.Make sure he's in a warm spot.  But if he's still lethargic in the a.m, call the vet or go to the vet or ER.
        Good luck!

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2012
          Yes. To keep his stress level down and this was our 2nd attempt (his bp skyrocketed last time to 240, they stopped surgery) we did the surgery while the vet was closed. He stresses when he can't see me so I was holding him while we woke. He slept all night in his peaceful spot. Didn't give pain eds until this morning. He's definitly more awake and I could see he was in pain. But he was vomiting foam a couple times since 5 am. I gave him his scheduled ondansetron to help that. He's NOT interested in food at all or water. My husbad is home today, so he will keep a close eye on him and call the vet if necessary. Hoping today of resting will start to bring him back around. Thanks for ur post.