Re: Smokey..i need help.

  • lorkatz2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2012
      I have had cats that had heart failure and kidney failure. Its a horrible balancing act and I have never won it. What helps the kidneys causes the heart to go into heart failure.........so what you need to consider is "the heart trumps the kidneys" because without the heart beating you have no need to treat the kidneys. Your cat is in end stage renal failure with a creatine in the 6 range and actually..............and I think you have done a fantastic job with Smokey to date.

      What about adding altenolol or vetmedin to your list of meds? The heart needs a little bit more help so maybe you will need to decrease your fluids that you are giving him. You may not be able to do that every day, but try to do it and see where the tipping point is where the heart cannot get rid of that excess fluid.

      At this stage, your main goal is to make him comfortable........we always say treat the cat and not the numbers so if he is still eating and acting normal, I would try to start lowering the fluids.

      I am so sorry I cannot help you more than this.............I have lost 3 cats to HCM and end stage kidney failure so I know the devastating grief these illnesses bring to us.......my thoughts and prayers will be with you and smokey.

      A drug of final/end choice is the vetmedin and that helped my Jinx for about 6 months before he died. I have never regretted giving him this and cherished the time my kids and I had with him..........and he also was 7 when he died. Think about asking the cardiologist for this..........

      Hugs - Cathy