Re: [FH] Oreo acting really tired and today didn't have an appetite after beginning Bupre

  • mmayer11@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2012
      You will have him back. It just takes time to get the dosage right. It is a strong and useful drug. Hang in there.
      HUGS

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
        Okay...first thing you do tomorrow is talk to your vet about upping the dose a bit.
        You said .."yes"... Yes to what? 6 or 12 hrs?
        If you are waiting for your daughter to give the 2nd dose [11--12 hrs later...as you say 7 am---4--5pm], that is probably too late b/c the dose is *too low*. Check with your vet...explain your concerns as you have here with us.
        Have you arranged to order all subsequent doses from ROADRUNNER PHARMACY? You did not say.... ? You must get this set up!

        Marianna

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2012
          You are so very welcome, Susan. I'm glad to help you and Oreo.
          Remember I recommended that you not skimp on the dosage :( You should give the amount the vet instructed, not less.
          The pred is what is causing loose stool, not the Buprenorphine. You're right, if anything the Bupren. would have the opposite effect. See what you vet suggests...maybe a lower dose of pred? Loose stool is common with all steroids. A very little bit of canned...unsweetened... pumpkin puree once or twice a day with food...can sometimes tighten loose stool. It can also make stool loose. People use it for both problems. Once you open the can, you can freeze the contents for future use. It will not last more than 2--3 days, if you just keep it in the fridge.
          As to getting the dose all betw the cheek & gum...what are you using to dose with? A tiny syringe? I can't quite picture why you are not managing to get the dose betw his cheek and gum? Maybe with practice you and Oreo will get better at it. :)

          HTH

          Marianna