Re: [FH] counting beats per 15 seconds, i am only getting 15~18, that would

  • Pamela Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
      Throwing up bile can be a symptom of pancreatitis which is common with diabetes.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
        hi Susan,

        If your getting 15 to 18 beats in 15 seconds, that's only 60 to 72 beats per minutes. That is not a normal heart rate. Normal heart rate for a cat is from about 120 to 140. If you're counting 60 to 72 per minute, that's very low! Very low blood pressure, low heart rate can be just as dangerous as too high. If the heart is pumping blood too slowly, it's not getting to the organs efficiently.

        I would talk to your cardiologist about this when you go for the echo.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
          I'm sure you meant beats per 15 seconds should be under 30, not beats for a whole minute being 30.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
            Oh, I am so sorry if I confused everybody -- I thought she was talking about BREATHS per minute. I read her post wrong, so sorry.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
              Yes, I thought that was what you meant.

              So to clarify for everyone... when you're counting BREATHS per minute, which is the respiration, that should be from about 16 to about 28 or 32 BREATHS per minute (4 to 7 or 8 BREATHS in 15 seconds).

              When you're counting HEART BEATS, which is the heart rate, that should be from about 120 to 140 BEATS per minute (30 to 35 BEATS in 15 seconds).

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

                > So to clarify for everyone... when you're counting BREATHS per minute,
                > which is the respiration, that should be from about 16 to about 28 or 32
                > BREATHS per minute (4 to 7 or 8 BREATHS in 15 seconds).
                >
                > When you're counting HEART BEATS, which is the heart rate, that should be
                > from about 120 to 140 BEATS per minute (30 to 35 BEATS in 15 seconds).

                You should also count this when the cat is calm and relaxed.

                I took a cat to the vet last week. I was worried about him and wanted
                him to be checked that day, and our regular vet's office was
                completely booked all day plus backlogged because of an emergency
                surgery, so I took him to a Banfield clinic as a walk-in. They took
                his temperature first, which he absolutely HATES and fought against
                fiercely. Then, after he was highly agitated from getting his
                temperature taken, they counted his respiration and heart rate and got
                44 breaths and 220 beats per minute. And they told me this was normal!
                Kinda lost some credibility with me right then and there. When I got
                the cat home and after he was calm, I counted and got 28 breaths and
                120 beats per minute. If the Banfield people think 44 and 220 is
                normal, they must routinely be riling up their feline patients before
                taking vitals!

                Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
                www.jimsinclair.org
                http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com