counting beats per 15 seconds, i am only getting 15~18, that would

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
      Be a very low heart rate if we multiply by 4, right? I've been doing it twice a day for a week. This is a resting heart rate. And the vet HAD him on enalpril? Wouldn't that have dropped it further? He's off that now. He see's the cardiologist tomorrow. Hope we get some answers. Btw~ I called the cardiologist and he said NO fasting for the echo, that what his receptionist told me was standard for her to tell all "general" people.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
        Hi

        That's a perfectly normal heart rate:) My normal cats measure out about
        that.. it means his meds are working. Tell yor cardiologist tomorrow, he will
        decide if its normal for your boy.

        :) lyn

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
          I think you are counting wrong. If you are getting 15 beats per 15 seconds, that cat is in such serious trouble!!! Please take the time to count for a whole minute, use your watch to time it. Beats per whole minute should be under 30, 23 or so is perfect. If it gets to 40, that is a true emergency that needs immediately ER care.
          Be a very low heart rate if we multiply by 4, right? I've been doing it twice a day for a week. This is a resting heart rate. And the vet HAD him on enalpril? Wouldn't that have dropped it further? He's off that now. He see's the cardiologist tomorrow. Hope we get some answers. Btw~ I called the cardiologist and he said NO fasting for the echo, that what his receptionist told me was standard for her to tell all "general" people.

        • Pamela Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
            Throwing up bile can be a symptom of pancreatitis which is common with diabetes.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
              hi Susan,

              If your getting 15 to 18 beats in 15 seconds, that's only 60 to 72 beats per minutes. That is not a normal heart rate. Normal heart rate for a cat is from about 120 to 140. If you're counting 60 to 72 per minute, that's very low! Very low blood pressure, low heart rate can be just as dangerous as too high. If the heart is pumping blood too slowly, it's not getting to the organs efficiently.

              I would talk to your cardiologist about this when you go for the echo.

              Carol

              Be a very low heart rate if we multiply by 4, right? I've been doing it twice a day for a week. This is a resting heart rate. And the vet HAD him on enalpril? Wouldn't that have dropped it further? He's off that now. He see's the cardiologist tomorrow. Hope we get some answers. Btw~ I called the cardiologist and he said NO fasting for the echo, that what his receptionist told me was standard for her to tell all "general" people.

              .

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                I'm sure you meant beats per 15 seconds should be under 30, not beats for a whole minute being 30.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Oh, I am so sorry if I confused everybody -- I thought she was talking about BREATHS per minute. I read her post wrong, so sorry.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Yes, I thought that was what you meant.

                    So to clarify for everyone... when you're counting BREATHS per minute, which is the respiration, that should be from about 16 to about 28 or 32 BREATHS per minute (4 to 7 or 8 BREATHS in 15 seconds).

                    When you're counting HEART BEATS, which is the heart rate, that should be from about 120 to 140 BEATS per minute (30 to 35 BEATS in 15 seconds).

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

                      > So to clarify for everyone... when you're counting BREATHS per minute,
                      > which is the respiration, that should be from about 16 to about 28 or 32
                      > BREATHS per minute (4 to 7 or 8 BREATHS in 15 seconds).
                      >
                      > When you're counting HEART BEATS, which is the heart rate, that should be
                      > from about 120 to 140 BEATS per minute (30 to 35 BEATS in 15 seconds).

                      You should also count this when the cat is calm and relaxed.

                      I took a cat to the vet last week. I was worried about him and wanted
                      him to be checked that day, and our regular vet's office was
                      completely booked all day plus backlogged because of an emergency
                      surgery, so I took him to a Banfield clinic as a walk-in. They took
                      his temperature first, which he absolutely HATES and fought against
                      fiercely. Then, after he was highly agitated from getting his
                      temperature taken, they counted his respiration and heart rate and got
                      44 breaths and 220 beats per minute. And they told me this was normal!
                      Kinda lost some credibility with me right then and there. When I got
                      the cat home and after he was calm, I counted and got 28 breaths and
                      120 beats per minute. If the Banfield people think 44 and 220 is
                      normal, they must routinely be riling up their feline patients before
                      taking vitals!

                      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
                      www.jimsinclair.org
                      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com