Re: Harley, 18, heart disease with multiple issues

  • keycmv
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
      OMG - Harley's life parallels that of my Gump. CRF, hypo-T, and heart murmur.

      Gump was found by a friend in a box on the side of a road! He was with his sisters Babs and Margie. We adopted all three of them.

      Gump was 18 when we headed out on a Christmas RV trip, and he went into heart failure. We managed to get him back to our vet, thinking we were rushing to let him go peacefully. Gump declined that option and recovered fully after the use of Lasix to reduce the fluid around on his heart and a visit to the oxygen tent. They put him on benepril (heart), soloxine (hypo-T), and lasix (heart).

      Gump turned 19 last month and is still hanging!

      We will no longer giving him subQs, as the fluids can flood his heart. We make cat soup with his food by adding A LOT of water.

      On the occasion when he becomes dehydrated, we haul him into the vet for a carefully monitored IV drip.

      Carol