Harley, 18, heart disease with multiple issues

  • movieZombie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      my Harley cat was diagnosed with cancer in january of this year and completed chemo in june. he seems to not be having issues re cancer at this time.

      he is hypothroid.
      he has kidney disease.
      he receives various meds for his conditions.

      he was getting subq every night but now receives it every other night.

      in the past i was told he had heart disease but other than a murmur, nothing much was said.

      to make a long story short, friday i was told there might be more serious issues based on symptoms and on recent x-rays. fluid was removed from his chest cavity at that time.

      had him in for an ultrasound today and was told he needs to see a cardiologist because he has a thickened heart muscle. better than the mass that was thought to be a problem? not so sure....more fluid was removed from his chest cavity today.

      he sees a cardiologist at 3p tomorrow [tuesday, 10/2/2012] and i think will have an echogram done then? or is that the same as an ultrasound that he had today?

      what should i know prior to meeting the cardiologist?
      what questions should i be asking?

      i already know that the treatment for kidney disease is not good for heart disease and the reverse is also true.

      Harley has had a long good run, imo. i found him along side a forest road one night 18 years ago. he was scrawny, starving, and full of fleas....the vet next day didn't think he would make it. but make it he did! he may be old and deaf he but deserves a "good" ending. i'm fearing that that may be difficult. my direct question to the vet today was along the lines of facing end of life issues....and the response was affirmative. until i see the cardiologist tomorrow i won't have a time frame for life expectancy. realistically, as i said, he's had a good run and i think his body is just tired.

      any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
        Hello

        I am sorry to hear of Harley, he sounds a fighter. The echo and the
        ultrasound are the same thing and check the condition of the heart and will give
        a diagnosis. The fact he has fluid in his lungs means he is likely in heart
        failure rather than it being a symptom of something else. He urgently needs
        diuretics to get this under control, and unfortunatley the most widely
        used one does stress the kidneys. However, diuretics can be used in
        combination and he can still have the sub Q fluids he needs, but cautiously.

        It's going to be a balancing act, but the heart is the most important
        thing. He can have medications to help his failing heart and support it and
        there are cats here who have juggled both conditions, including my Josh, for
        years.

        One question, is he hyperthyroid or hypothyroid? Hyperthyroid is where they
        go very thin and are hungry all the time.It can cause secondary heart
        failure and HCM if it is not controled. My Josh balances hyper T, kidneys and
        heart and we have him stable for 2 years now. He's 17 next year.

        Can you get him some Coenzyme Q to start helping his heart. It's available
        at food stores or as Cardiostrength by Vetriscience. The dose is 30mg. As
        he is also at risk of a blood clot, you can consider nattokinase (I use
        Doctors best) It must have vitamin K removed. It dissolves any clots forming.

      • keycmv
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
          OMG - Harley's life parallels that of my Gump. CRF, hypo-T, and heart murmur.

          Gump was found by a friend in a box on the side of a road! He was with his sisters Babs and Margie. We adopted all three of them.

          Gump was 18 when we headed out on a Christmas RV trip, and he went into heart failure. We managed to get him back to our vet, thinking we were rushing to let him go peacefully. Gump declined that option and recovered fully after the use of Lasix to reduce the fluid around on his heart and a visit to the oxygen tent. They put him on benepril (heart), soloxine (hypo-T), and lasix (heart).

          Gump turned 19 last month and is still hanging!

          We will no longer giving him subQs, as the fluids can flood his heart. We make cat soup with his food by adding A LOT of water.

          On the occasion when he becomes dehydrated, we haul him into the vet for a carefully monitored IV drip.

          Carol