Re: New to the Group

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
      Hello (I am sorry your post had no name)

      I am in a similiar situation as your. I also have an 8 year himalayan who was diagnosed with HCM in May. She also is asymptomatic and has not been on heart medications to date.

      However, I should qualify this by saying . . . I was informed about 5 years ago that she had an "enlarged heart". So she HAS been having ultrasounds of her heart all along. June 2012 was the first time we were given the "official" HCM diagnosis but still medications were not recommended at that time. Our next visit is in Dec/ Jan. Our cardiologist said they are not needed at this time but that he does not want to MISS any symptoms either. So it is a close monitoring act.

      In the meantime, this group has been tremendously helpful. I have learned to monitor Sheba's breathing. The goal is less than 30 breaths per minute. Anything higher is a concern and 40BPM in an emergency. Increased breathing rate is a indicator for heart failure. Also I have started Sheba on some supplements. Natokinnase helps to dissolve blood clots and prevent them from forming. And CoQ10 helps the heart to function better. Please post any and all your questions here, and you will get the expertise help I have gotten.

      We all help one another.

      Love and kitty kisses,

      Jordan and Sheba

    • wrapcitywrappers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8

        Hello, my I'm Lisa and my cat's name is Seven (I didn't name him!).  Seven is 10 years old and was diagnosed in December with restrictive cardiomyopathy.  So it's been about 6 months --and it's been a bit of a bumpy ride.  I initially brought him to the vet because I noticed his breathing "didn't seem right".  (Several years ago I had another cat that had lung cancer, so I was bracing myself for that diagnosis.)  I was never suspecting heart problems, but at that time he was in congestive heart failure, needed a chest tap, and went home with Lasix and Plavix.   He's been a challenge to stabilize, but now several months and  several chest taps later with the addition of Benazapril,  Aldactazide, and Potassium, he has been relatively stable. I've also done my research, and am feeding him low salt foods (from "Tanya's List!")

        With his last renal panel a couple weeks ago, it was noted that "his kidney values had increased somewhat".  Not extremely high---but there was an increase to keep an eye on.   Because he was such a challenge to bring his fluid build-up under control, my vet is hesitant at this time to make any changes to his meds. Clinically, he's acting fine, he's happy, he's eating and drinking; he's pretty much his normal self...  However, I'm a bit freaked out by the kidney issues.     I realize that the diuretics take their toll on the kidneys, but every time I give him his heart meds, I feel like I'm slowly poisoning him.... Oh, and I will be going away for 2 weeks in July---so I am saying my prayers that he remains stable through then...

        That's our story for now....I welcome your comments, suggestions, etc.   thank you!

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9
          Hi Lisa

          All my heart cats tend to have slightly elevated kidney levels, it's a consequence of diuretics and some dehydration when they visit the vets. It tends to be slightly high every single time and the important thing is this doesn't get worse. Mine have had this for several years and no deterioration. Maybe get a repeat test in a few weeks to check?