update to *kitten with a grade 4 murmur*

  • sharonohrenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2012
      Let me again say that I am not sure exactly how to post here so if I am doing it wrong some guidance would be appreciated.

      I had posted about getting a kitten with a grade 4 heart murmur. I would like to update that I did in fact get him and his brother. They are 5mth old orange with white Maine Coons. I just got them Saturday so they are still very skittish.
      The one with the heart murmur we named Zeus because i wanted him to have a strong name and it suits him. When I went to pick him up, the woman told me that her vet said it was stage 4 (out of 5) murmur. I really wasnt sure what to expect. He acts perfectly fine but when you pick him up you can feel his heart racing a million miles a minute!
      She wants me to wait to get him/them neutered so they dont associate that with their new home. Before I do that though I would like to take him to a cardiologist. The thing is...the woman acted like I really didnt need to do anything about it right now. What do you guys think?
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2012
        I think you need to take him to a cardiologist. Your breeder is not the
        best source of medical information. Murmurs are graded on a scale of 6, so
        a 1/6 murmur is the slightest, 6/6 is the worst.

        You need to know exactly what you're dealing with here so you can treat
        little Zeus (love that name!) appropriately. A loud murmur doesn't
        necessarily equal an early demise. My heart kitty, Lilly is almost
        certainly of Maine Coon extraction (she's a rescue, so we're not sure) and
        has a 5/6 or 6/6 murmur, depending on who's listening. Her foster mom got
        her to a cardiologist, who diagnosed her with a ventricular septal defect
        (aka "hold in the heart") and secondary hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It
        does seem to show up in Maine Coons, and does result in a really loud,
        shrill murmur and a heartbeat you can feel anywhere on the cat. That was 6
        years ago, and Lilly is still going strong, so you never know.

        Bless you for taking him :)

        Lisa

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2012
          Hello

          Well done for choosing your new kittens. It is absolutely vital he gets a
          heart scan immediately. My grade 4 heart murmur kittens were both very
          poorly and needed immediate treatment. Both had a prognosis of months , and have
          both reached their 6th birthday this year. That is due to early diagnosis
          and the correct drugs.

          He may have HCM, he may have a congenital heart problem, like hole in the
          heart. Both need different treatments. I had a kitten with each. Surgery is
          a risk to cats with heart disease, so you need to know what you are dealing
          with. The brother would have a risk of heart disease too unfortunately
          (50%) so you need to have his heart listened to and a scan for both if that is
          possible.

          I`m sorry this seems gloom and doom. Enjoy your kittens, heart kittens love
          to play like any other kitten. They don't know they are sick and want to
          be playful and loving. You've taken on a responsibility and all credit to
          you for that! I did exactly the same and would do so again without
          hesitation. I found my heart cats the mst loving and beautiful friends.