Strange purring

  • jakemcconn
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2012
      Hi, I tend to lurk on this site and read all the wonderful information, but haven't yet seen anything that helps me with my concern. Hannah is my 16 yr old cat with a myriad of issues. She has Stage 3 CKD; high blood pressure now controlled, but she is blind from it; possible pancreatitis,anemia, a galloping heart and a 2/6 systolic heart murmur. She also as a etube for feeding that she's had about two weeks now.I know it sounds like a lot of illnesses, but she is basically stable right now - maintaining her weight (although I want her to gain some), likes to lay in the sun in the enclosed lanai and interacting with me. She currently takes 1/2 Reglan and 1/4 Pepcid in the early a.m. (and on non-Cerenia days she also takes 1/4 ondansetron.) After 30 minutes or so, I offer her food and she usually eats about 1 tablespoon. Then I wait another 30 minutes (feeding and medicating one other cat, Mimi and one dog, Kobe. My third cat Abby is so far, healthy). Then I feed Hannah about 15-25 ml of IAMS Max Cal. At this time she also gets 1/4 amlodipine, 500 mcg B-12, 1/10 Jarrows B-rite B complex and 65 mg iron.
      I also feed her the same amount at noon (I come home for lunch), 5 pm and 10 pm. She gets another 1/2 Reglan in the evening (and ondansetron if it's a non-Cerenia day). Or 4mg Cerenia. Oh, she also gets .6 ml of simethicone twice a day as she gets bad gas. And 100 ml sub-q fluids every night & .07 ml Epogen three times a week. The problem is when she purrs. I give her a full body massage every day and she loves to have her fur on her face gently pulled (I saw it on a Tellington Touch video and didn't believe it would work, but it does). Also when she and I go to sleep at night she likes to lay on my stomach. With either the massage or the tummy laying, she starts purring and it sounds almost like she is purring under water. That may not be the right way to explain it, but it's a watery purr. It's a cyclical kind of purr. Hannie purrs with the inhale and exhale, then stops for a second. It's like she's purring to her breathing rythmn. And on the exhale, it's a very hard breath. I can feel it almost thump. Then when she starts feeling really good, she sometimes rolls on her side and purrs even louder. At that time, she slightly opens her mouth. I know mouth breathing is a bad sign and this is the only time she does this. I'm afraid to pet and massage her as I feel I am hurting her. She had an stomach x-ray (my vet said that's where fluid would build up in a cat) and there was nothing except gas. She also had full anal glands that needed to be expressed. I never knew that cats could need that. Finally, when she sits on my lap and curls into a ball, she also purrs, but in a lower register with none of the above mentioned symptoms. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it related to her heart issues? It's a recent phenomena, but I can't connect it to anything in particular. She has had two hospital stays in the last four months & no one saw this happen, but why would it? I'm sure she didn't feel much like purring when she was there. With the etube/Cerenia/Epogen combo it seems like we were getting on the right track. She has begun to feel so much better in the last few weeks - moving around better, more interested in the things around her, actually showing interest in food - but now I'm afraid that her heart be the end of her. I am trying to appreciate everyday I have with her. Four months ago no one (but me) thought she would still be alive, let alone doing as well as she is. This is just scaring me. Thank you if you read this far. Michelle and Hannah aka Hannie aka Hannah Banana aka Mrs. B
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012
        Hello

        That's very odd. Cats can purr in discomfort or pain, but I dont think
        that's the case here at all. If there is open mouth breathing, I`d be
        concerned. It maybe her heart rate is increasing as she gets excited.