Re: [FH] Neon Shadow Cat Sphynx with HCM

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
      Please don't listen to the "little time".... I was told the same 10 mos ago about my Boo who went into CHF, thus diagnosing her severe heart disease.  With the right meds she has done remarkable.  What form of heart disease does kitty have?  What meds is kitty taking?  Lasix I assume and what else?  Be sure to get comfy taking the resting respiratory rate (RRR).  While at rest, take kitty's breaths... anything over 40 is an emergency meaning fluid has built up in the lungs again.

      This is a great group so let us know some more details and I am sure we can help!

      Laurie and Boo

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
        Hi

        I`m sorry to hear of Neon. He is in heart failure which can be treated with
        medications. The most important will be diuretics for him to clear the
        fluid off his lungs. What pills is he on and what dose? There are several
        diuretics, lasix being the most common but there are others that can be added.
        He should also be on drugs to help his heart.

        'Very little time' is something cats don't tend to listen to. My Trixi
        (advanced HCM at 12 weeks old) was given a few months to live at the time. She
        just turned six years this year, despite a heart attack. Milli (two holes
        in the heart and malformed valves) was given two years maximum and that was
        also six years ago.

        Learn to count his breaths. Find what is normal when he is sleepy and
        comfortable. Upt to 30 is ok, 30 is a warning of fluid and 40 is an emergency
        usually. Don't count whilst he is dreaming or purring, it must be when he is
        relaxed.

        Co enzyme Q also seems to help a lot of kitties here. We give 30mg a day to
        all my heart cats.

      • Lynda Doty
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
          I know  you love this little critter, and I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. My question is, you say he is on medication. Is he taking Lasix?

          Blessings,
          Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.