Neon Shadow Cat Sphynx with HCM

  • NeonShadowCat
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
      I'm new here. A friend on Facebook sent me. My little Sphynx is 5 years old and has been given very little time although he seems to be doing better. His cardiologist wanted to keep draining his lungs which I have declined. It obviously was an uncomfortable experience for him and I felt it was just prolonging his death. He is on medication.
      According to his doctor he should be gone, but he is actually doing quite well at this point. He is still following me around the house, sleeps flat, eats alot, and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. He had been showing some fluid build up but it went down. I have decided to keep him here as long as he seems comfortable and happy.
      He is a wonderful little guy who I love deeply.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
        Please don't listen to the "little time".... I was told the same 10 mos ago about my Boo who went into CHF, thus diagnosing her severe heart disease.  With the right meds she has done remarkable.  What form of heart disease does kitty have?  What meds is kitty taking?  Lasix I assume and what else?  Be sure to get comfy taking the resting respiratory rate (RRR).  While at rest, take kitty's breaths... anything over 40 is an emergency meaning fluid has built up in the lungs again.

        This is a great group so let us know some more details and I am sure we can help!

        Laurie and Boo

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
          Hi

          I`m sorry to hear of Neon. He is in heart failure which can be treated with
          medications. The most important will be diuretics for him to clear the
          fluid off his lungs. What pills is he on and what dose? There are several
          diuretics, lasix being the most common but there are others that can be added.
          He should also be on drugs to help his heart.

          'Very little time' is something cats don't tend to listen to. My Trixi
          (advanced HCM at 12 weeks old) was given a few months to live at the time. She
          just turned six years this year, despite a heart attack. Milli (two holes
          in the heart and malformed valves) was given two years maximum and that was
          also six years ago.

          Learn to count his breaths. Find what is normal when he is sleepy and
          comfortable. Upt to 30 is ok, 30 is a warning of fluid and 40 is an emergency
          usually. Don't count whilst he is dreaming or purring, it must be when he is
          relaxed.

          Co enzyme Q also seems to help a lot of kitties here. We give 30mg a day to
          all my heart cats.

        • Lynda Doty
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
            I know  you love this little critter, and I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. My question is, you say he is on medication. Is he taking Lasix?

            Blessings,
            Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.