Re: HCM / ASTHMA

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012
      Hi

      I am sorry to hear about Kim. If he has HCM, it is advisable that he isn't
      given oral steroids as they will increase the risk of heart failure and
      fluid in the lungs. If he doesn't respond to them then I would definitely ask
      about stopping them. I am very very surprised he hasn't been given anything
      for HCM and would seriously consider a second opinion. All my HCM cats
      have been taking medications since they were diagnosed, some as kittens and
      all are very stable and doing well at the moment. Heart medications reduce
      the load on the heart and there are anti clot medications as well. My Trix
      was given 2 months to live and this was over 5 years ago. As she progresses
      we add more medications.

      It is clear he is progressing so I would insist on getting some medication.
      A beta blocker is often given as a first line drug for HCM, or an ACE
      inhibitor. As he is getting worse, I wouldn't wait for him to be in heart
      failure to try treatment. I have never heard of any cats here ever getting no
      medications when they have moderate HCM so am very surprised.

      For athma there are the inhalable steroids which are heart safe. Did the
      respiratory tests reveal a specific bacteria, my Alex wheezed and he had a
      specific bacteria on his culture swab which needed a different antibiotic.
      Has he had an Xray to rule out fluid on the lungs?

      CoQ has helped all my cats, well it certainly hasn't done any harm. They're
      been on it for up to 6 years. There is also nattokinase to help reduce the
      risk of a blood clot.