HCM / ASTHMA

  • molly
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11 6:52 AM
      Hi Group :-)

      I live in London and have 2 male neutered cats. One of my cats (Kim) I found on my small street as a stray in July 2009, I reported him to local charities no-one claimed him so I took him in got him neutered and FeLV/FIV blood tested (Negative Thank God!) and kept him.
      My other cat (Lucky)I had had since 5 weeks old and he had lost his brother in July 2008 who was PTS at just 14 months old due to a huge chest tumour:-( so our new little stray was like a new crazy energetic foster brother for Lucky! :-) In December 2011 Kim began being very noisy when breathing. vets said noise on stetescope was coming from the throat and not his chest (??????)

      He had every test done from an throat endoscopy to a trachael wash and a CT scan of lung and nasal area, nasal swabs and a nasal endoscopy! Inflammation was seen at the back of his nasopharynx, throat and in his airways, vet said he didn't biopsy the inflammation to check for lymphoma as it had been going on for so long and he didn't feel that it could be.

      Steroids were prescribed, doses doubled for weeks on end and every xray/ test showed no improvementor progression of the inflammation, yet vets still felt it was Asthma but as far as I have read feline asthma ALWAYS responds to prednisolone, so who knows.

      While having all these tests for his respiratory issue, he also had an echo on his heart and he was diagnosed with HCM in May 2012, they said the thickening to his heart wall is moderate, and that he would not be medicated all the time he was not in the stage of Congestive heart failure.

      He then had a pro-bnp blood test in June 2012 to use as a marker for the future to observe any progression, vets said normal cat result is 270. Kim's was 535, cardiologist of Royal Vetinary college UK said his own cat's result was near to 900 and that he was still not in Congestive heart failure and that my cat must have the blood test in 6 months time.

      So Kim's at home and unmedicated since May 2012, brilliant appetite runs around alot at night time (indoor cats) but you can still really hear his nose whistle and noisy wheezy sounding breathing especially when he is eating or grooming, and you can see his nostrils flare and his abdomen cave right in when exhaling, all of which the RVC vet knew in May and ensured me that theses symptoms are asthma and NOT in anyway related to the HCM.

      Are there any supplements I could try for his breathing and for the HCM? :(

      Does co-enzyme q10 help or just useless?
      Any help and guidance greatly appreciated!
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11 9:02 AM
        Hi; sorry for all your problems with little Kim. I had a cat with asthma and HCM...we discovered the HCM when he went into CHF...he survived it and went on to live another 3.5 years. The thought was that the steroids he was taking for asthma threw him into CHF, and not the degree of heart disease, and that that's why he recovered so well...for a time he was on no meds, but then we went to lasix and enalapril for most of his life. Many on this panel have cats who take meds and they and I believe that the prolong life. I know that my doc at UCDavis has concluded that meds are not necessary and maybe not helpful for cats who are not in severe stages of heart disease, but I saw a distinct difference in Max when he went off his meds...he went down fast and then recovered when we restarted them. Many here use supplements including CQ10 to strengthen the heart muscle and nattokinasse to help prevent clots (at a later stage I think.) There is a heart supplement which people use which I can't remember the name of, but if no one here mentions it you can google it.There is a whole study done on the effects of steroids on heart disease in cats, so you should be very careful. Fortunately my cat's asthma wasn't severe and I was able to help him by just squirting Flovent near his nose when he had difficulty and it worked...others here use the "hood" for inhaled steroids.Good luck with your Kim and Jackie too...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11 10:22 AM
          Hi

          I am sorry to hear about Kim. If he has HCM, it is advisable that he isn't
          given oral steroids as they will increase the risk of heart failure and
          fluid in the lungs. If he doesn't respond to them then I would definitely ask
          about stopping them. I am very very surprised he hasn't been given anything
          for HCM and would seriously consider a second opinion. All my HCM cats
          have been taking medications since they were diagnosed, some as kittens and
          all are very stable and doing well at the moment. Heart medications reduce
          the load on the heart and there are anti clot medications as well. My Trix
          was given 2 months to live and this was over 5 years ago. As she progresses
          we add more medications.

          It is clear he is progressing so I would insist on getting some medication.
          A beta blocker is often given as a first line drug for HCM, or an ACE
          inhibitor. As he is getting worse, I wouldn't wait for him to be in heart
          failure to try treatment. I have never heard of any cats here ever getting no
          medications when they have moderate HCM so am very surprised.

          For athma there are the inhalable steroids which are heart safe. Did the
          respiratory tests reveal a specific bacteria, my Alex wheezed and he had a
          specific bacteria on his culture swab which needed a different antibiotic.
          Has he had an Xray to rule out fluid on the lungs?

          CoQ has helped all my cats, well it certainly hasn't done any harm. They're
          been on it for up to 6 years. There is also nattokinase to help reduce the
          risk of a blood clot.