Our heart babies & flea mefication

  • breathes4tabs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
      Hi all. Quick update on Tabitha. It appears that giving her lasix 3x a day instead of 2x a day is working! Tabitha recently had a cardio follow up this Tuesday & all though the X-rays show some little amount of fluid in her lungs the doctor decided to increase her lasix amount. Again for us the lasix 3x a day has worked wonders.

      Now to my 2 questions for the group:

      I think it's time for Tabitha to get a dosage of her Advantage flea medication (since she's been scratching) but i have not given her the flea med since her diagnosis in late July & since she has been on all of her HCM meds. Do you if it's okay & safe ( meaning I should not expect to see any adverse reaction) if I give her Advantage flea preventative on her back ( between her shoulder blades)? She does have a tendency to even reach back there sometimes & want to groom herself & lick off the Advantage. So I want to make sure it's safe.

      2nd question. Is it common as we medicate our little furries for them to have soft stools?
      My Tabitha this morning had a soft stool in the litter box . Not liquidy so it's not diarrehea but it was very soft. Any comments if this is common? Her diet or food has not changed only the amount of lasix has increased. She eats well & drinks her water.

      Thanks Yvette & Tabitha
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
        Hi

        Lasix lasts about eight hours, so three times a day makes sense. I`m glad
        that is working for Tabitha, it's hard to find the right dose at first.

        I flea mine regularly with Frontline. Sometimes a cat licks at it and gets
        a frothy mouth but I have had no problem whatsoever with using this for
        years with HCM cats, including HCM kittens. I am not sure what the difference
        to Advantage is though. Spot on that doesn't get absorbed would be safer
        than one that does, I would suspect. Fleas can also multiply quickly and
        cause stress and even anaemia so it's important to keep them under control.

      • Mary McKee
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
          I have used both Frontline or Advantage in the past between the shoulders of my severe HCM cat with no problems or side effects. He gets Lasix 3 times daily and has clear lungs and normal stools.