Re: [FH] Blood Clot prevention

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
      My cat has been on Plavix (along with four other heart meds) for over three years and just began adding a baby aspirin of 81mg to the protocol while still on Plavix.  It's been five weeks and so far she's fine.  We will update her blood work to see how are the liver/kidney values. But so far, no gastro issues.  So, while I recommend that you first try Plavix, if the doctor says the cat needs both, then use both. Just be aware that there might be gastro issues and if so, then aspirin can't be tolerated and you would cease using it; or if no gastro issues, you would do a chem blood panel after a few weeks to check liver/kidney values (unless signs of issues appear early then you'd do blood check then.)

      As for the natto, I'm not familiar with it. It would depend on how it works-if it remains in the blood plasma for days or not.  Perhaps the natto should be decreased over a couple of days before the Plavix is introduced.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
        Lyn, why did your vet feel the need to change?

        Blessings,
        Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

        Milli recently switched from nattokinase to plavix on my vet's advice that

        she now needed something to stop clots. She was on natto as a precaution

        for over two years. We just stopped the natto on the Monday and started

        plavix on Tuesday with no ill effects at all.