allergic reaction to rabies vaccine

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2012
      Hello All,

      I am new to both groups. I have an 8 year old himalayan kitty named Sheba. She has feline asthma and was recently diagnosed with HCM.

      Her HCM is currently asymptomatic and she is NOT on any heart medication at this time. However, she will be having another ultrasound in 6 months because the cardiologist does not want to miss any symptoms when they arise.

      Approximately 6 weeks ago, Sheba was in the ER for vomiting and diarrhea which I believe was caused by a 2 month fight trying to heal a corneal ulcer. The ulcer was succesfully resolved on July 3rd. But I believe the constant vet visits, various meds etc just stressed her poor little self out. Thus the episode of vomiting/diarrhea. This was supported by bloodwork, Xrays and an abdominal ultrasound that presented unremarkable.

      Since that time, she has consistently improved with vomiting and diarrhea episodes stopping.

      Until today when she was due for a rabies vaccine. My vet checked her eye (which has healed) and we discussed the recent events and talked about if we should give her rabies vaccine. The vet felt is was okay . . .. WRONG!! Within 45 minutes, she started vomiting and I immedately returned her to the hospital where they took her back and she had it coming out of both ends. They kept her there for several hours, stablizing her giving her fluids, oxygen and several medications: famotidine, diphenhydramne, maropitant and dexamethsone.

      When I got her home, she started vomiting all the fluids they had given her, started drooling and kept walking in/out of her litterbox and finally lying down in there. Poor baby did not know what to do!! I immediately rush her to the ER where she had been just 6 weeks ago for the same symptoms.

      She is currently resting comfortably there, getting fluids and has had no further episodes of vomiting or diarrhea. We are awaiting labs on her bloodwork to check her electrolytes. She will be staying overnight and they are considering offering food around midnight or 1am tonight.

      Has anyone had this reaction to a rabies vaccine? It was a "killed" vaccine and the manufacturer was Fort Dodge??

    • Kathleen King
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
        I am so sorry to here about Sheba.  I hope she recovers again quickly.

        I am pretty knew to the vettalk group and my Angel Danny died in February from CHF after having HCM for 4 years so I belong to the feline-heart group too.  I also have a four year old named Brodythat I believe had a reaction to rabies.  I am not a vet, but my vet does agree that he will never get a rabies shot again.

        Brody was a pretty sick kitten and had an upper respiratory infection and parasytes before he was 3 months old.  He also was allergic to amoxicillin by that age.  He had recovered from those things and had his rabies shot about 17 weeks of age.  A week later he started with uncontrolable diarrhea and some vomiting.  They did a lot of tests on him and at 6 months old he was diagnosed with IBD.  We now know of 5 medications he is allergic to and he was recently diagnosed with asthma.

        My feeling is his whole immune system is hypersensitive, causing all of the autoimmune responses.  Since the asthma diagnosis I am thinking he will never get another vaccine of any kind.   He is an indoor cat so why stimulate his immune system if it can be avoided.  I have not discussed this with his vet yet.  That will come when it is time for his annual.

        We live in a state that allows for medical exemptions for rabies.  He had all of his other vaccines as a kitten and then at one, two and three years of age.

        Let us know how Sheba does.

        Kathy, Brody and all of the other Kitty Kids.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2012
          You might want to try Propectalin.  It's not a cure but it makes the symptoms like diarrhea less awful.  It's supposed to constipate them a little, like the human form, Imodium.
          It comes in a tube, like hairball remedy and you squeeze about a half inch strip onto your finger, stick your finger into her mouth to plop it onto her tongue or palate.  A little messy but it usually gets the job done in a couple of doses.  If she's a biter, just smush it onto her lips so she can lick it off.

          Any vaccine can cause an allergic reaction.  It's probably not the killed virus that got her but the solution that it's in.  You need to always ask if the vaccine has mercury in it and what base is used.  Most likely it's the base that caused the problem. Try the Propectalin to save your sanity and make her more comfortable.  Also, have you used acidophiles in her food?  It comes in capsule form, needs to be refrigerated.  Get the one with the billions of bacteria rather than the millions. The highest count.  You open the capsule and sprinkle it into wet food or on top of dry food.  It has no taste.  Cats like it.  It will restore the flora of her digestive system.  Most people take it after they have had a round of antibiotics that killed their digestive enzymes.

          Cats sometimes get constipated from yogurt.  Get the live bacteria yogurt, plain and not flavored and try her with a teaspoon full of it.  Let her lick it off the spoon. The vet should not have given her the vaccine.  He could have written a letter stating that she was not in good health, was an inside cat and that he had recommended she not have the vaccine, in case there was a danger of having trouble with the authorities in your area.

          Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
            Hello Lee,

            Thank you for your reply.

            Sheba is actually doing much better. She returned from the ER on Sunday afternoon and took about 12 hours readjusting to home life again.

            The first night she did not sleep on my bed like she normally does, but she did last night and was comfortably lying on her side and got a good night's rest last night, She is keeping food down and has not vomited at all since returning home. This morning I was pleased to see some soft, but solid doo doos in the box.

            Ironically, I had just started her on Forti Flora probiotics, but will continue to do so. I just ordered her some of this which arrived in order. It is the same probiotics but half the price. Anyone tried this??

            http://www.probioticsmart.com/pets/pscpets-intelliflora.html

            Question - I take PB8 probiotics for myself. Is this safe for kitties??

            http://www.vitacost.com/nutrition-now-pb-8-pro-biotic-acidophilus-120-capsules-1##

            Thanks again,
            Jordan and Sheba