New member...having a hard time..

  • colo85
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2012
      Hi --thanks for reading and I already feel a little better reading through the posts on here. My cat PB was diagnosed with HCM when she was five after a fainting/respiratory difficulty episode--it was called "mild" at the time. Now she's 9 and I thought we were defying the odds--taking Atenolol every day, seemingly healthy and happy-I noticed her respiratory rates going up and heard fluid in her lungs with my stethoscope (I'm a people nurse). We made a trip to the cardiologist and her disease has progressed to "severe".

      Now she's on benazapril, plavix and lasix in addition to the atenolol. She takes pills like a champ! It took her 3 days to recover from the stress of the vet visit (her lungs filled up and she was really having trouble breathing-needed oxygen and IM lasix). Now she's back to her old self, my happy little girl but every time I look at her I feel like my heart is being ripped out. How do you live with the knowledge that every day may be their last? I know it must get easier--now it's just so new and painful. My only wish for her is to feel good and be happy until the end. I won't let her suffer one minute more than she has to because I'm afraid to let her go. In the end, it will be about her, not me. I found her and her sister under a bush on campus my last month of nursing school. 2 little four ounce fluffy balls. I had to bottle feed them. Her sister has mild cerebellar hypoplasia. These two have been nothing but a joy. We moved across country together to Colorado and through all the changes, the unconditional love that only cats can give has been there.

      Sorry to be so long-winded but hoping that someone could relate! Thanks!