Re: [FH] New member: Libby and Sammy

  • mprofant60@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012
      Also, meds for his high blood pressure can really help too.

      Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012
        Hi all,

        This is kind of OT because it's about a dog, but I'm hoping someone will
        have an idea whether it is possible to take a dog's blood pressure at home?
        Not pulse, but blood pressure. My friend has a Greyhound who has high blood
        pressure and they're trying to stabilize it with meds. Her BP is very high
        at the vets and really, we'd like him to be able to do daily checks without
        the stress of a vet visit.

        Thanks,

        Sue & Boo
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
          Hi Sue

          On a big dog you could get a home blood pressure machine and ask your vet
          if it is possible and how to use it?

        • elise eisfelder
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
            Yes you can take the BP at home but the machines cost at least $1039 dollars. I've been looking into it for my cat. Tell your friend to google it. She may be able to find a cheaper one as she has a large dog. My dilema is that my cat registered high at the vet's office but I know how stressed out he is and thus it's impossible to know if it's really high and the medication is making him feel lousy or else it's brought on a pancreatitis attack.

            Elise

          • billposey@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
              Re: High Blood Pressure,
              Have your vet make a house call where the kitty is relaxed. This will give
              you a "true" non stressed reading & hopefully the results will be better.
              Been there done that and in both cases the results were worth the effort and
              expense.
              Bill

              .

            • elise eisfelder
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2012
                Bill, I've thought about that but honestly doubt it would work in this case. Max is afraid of his shadow and has gotten worse since Tiffany got sick and passed away. I recently had a house guest for three nights and we never saw him except when the house was dark and my guest was asleep. He wouldn't even eat except in the middle of the night. I bet if I forked out the money for a machine it would take him at least a month to get used to having his blood pressure checked!

                Elise